Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P/O E.A. Cowling 279 Sqn

Thanks

Default P/O E.A. Cowling 279 Sqn

Can anyone help with a copy of the DFC citation for P/O E.A. Cowling 279 Sqn? I have tried the LG but no luck.

Yours aye

Tom

Thanks

I found him in the LG three times, all promotions. No mention of a DFC though.

Edward Arthur Challoner Cowling (the extra 'C' was the trick in searching for him) RAFVR 937262/69449

P/O 12 Jun 1941
    F/O 12 Jun 1942
    F/L 12 Jun 1943

I also searched Hugh's awards lists in the other forum but no Cowling appears.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 14th December 2009 at 16:06. Reason: corrected reference to 1942 promotion
    David

Thanks

Not listed in Maton's "Honour the Air Forces" either

A

Thanks

A number of mentions of Ted Cowling online, and his book "The Journey". Though quite a few mention his DFC, this is the only one I can find that norrows down the year

"In 1944 he saved the lives of his crew when they were shot down by a German
    fighter and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He became a Top Gun'
    instructor and married the pretty young WAAF who one night saved his life. After
    the RAF he entered the world of the entrepreneur. Success followed but with it
    desperate tragedy and sadness."

http://shrewsburytown.co.uk/org/proofold/notts.pdf

A

Thanks

Default Cowling DFC

Thank you all for your response to my query. It is in response to a query I received from a newspaper who are looking into the veracity of his claim to a DFC and to several of his exploits. As he is mentioned a couple of times in my book 'Dinghy Drop' when he served on 279 Sqn in 1942/3 they thought I might be able to give some evidence of his award, however it is not mentioned in the 279 Sqn ORB. It is a little concerning that I could not find anything about the DFC award in the LG, however I am well aware of the difficulties thrown up by the pedantic search engine on that site! It may well be recorded there but one error in his initials or a full stop in the wrong place seem to be thwarting us. I would very much like to discover that he was awarded the DFC and put this matter to rest. Thanks again for your help so far.

Tom Docherty

Thanks

Nothing in Carter's DFC book.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I searched for Cowling in the LG with just his surname. Once I had that, I searched using both of his serial nos. I also did both an automatic and a visual search of Hugh Halliday's awards lists. Nothing came up so I doubt it is there.
    David

Thanks

Default Cowling DFC

Thank once again to all of you. I do not know what to try next. Has anyone ever heard of a DFC award NOT being promulgated in the Gazette?

Thanks

Hello Tom,

Have you tried Googling "Flight Global" ? I haven't checked it but have had this problem before - I used various search combinations and bingo! The URL is:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/home/default.aspx

Norman

Thanks

Default E.A. Cowling "DFC"

The needle in the haystack that is hardest to find is the one that is not there.

Mr. Cowling would not be the first person to claim decorations to which he was not entitled. I have a small file of such cases, almost always discovered as I read obituaries. No names, no pack-drill, but two cases spring to mind which make excellent examples.

Legion Magazine reported the 2005 death of a non-commissioned officer who reportedly held a DFC. The fellow in question indeed enlisted in the RCAF, trained as an Aero Engine Mechanic and was posted overseas in March 1943. He was repatriated to Canada at war's end. I am sure he gave honourable service as a mechanic, but as far as I could determine, he was not promoted beyond the rank of Sergeant, never remustered to aircrew, and received no awards other than those for voluntary and campaign service.

More striking was a Legion Magazine obituary for an RCAF Wing Commander with a DFC and DFM. I could find person with his name having received these awards - indeed, I had cause to doubt that he ever served in the RCAF at all !

Happily, such instances are rare. I think, sometimes, families are confused when writing these obituaries, being unfamiliar with the distinctions between gallantry awards and those for ordinary (though honourable) service.