Thread: Flt Lt L W Eddy DFC Citation

Thanks

Default Flt Lt L W Eddy DFC Citation

Morning All,
    Does anyone have the Citation for the DFC awarded to Flt Lt L W Eddy (139629) of 251 Sqn.
    And, secondly, is it possible to search the LG and/or CWGC for only a part of a Service Number? I'm trying to isolate RAFVR WW2 Officer numbers in the 1396** series but don't know how to do it if, indeed, it can even be done!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

You can search partial numbers using Geoff's Search Engine - but specify RAF in the pull down menu:

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

A

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Takes a bit of repeat searching but it is possible.

Put in the portion of the service number you have and RAF into the search for all words.

Find the full service number of an officer that is in the batch.

Use his full name and service number to find the earliest entry in the Gazette.

This gives a page like
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36122/supplements/3538

Normally service numbers in a batch were assigned alphabetically so even if your man is not listed then you can narrow it down more by seeing which numbers his surname falls between.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross & Amrit,
    Mni tks for the info on how to do searches with only partial data on CWGC and LG. I was looking, in detail, at a page of MAOs from the Oct 45 AFL kindly provided to me by Malcolm of rafweb. I had chosen 3 names from that list which were not particularly well known to me. They all turned out to have Service Numbers in the 1396xx series!! Aha, I thought, I have discovered a pattern in Officer's Numbers! Now I know this is a minefield, but, initially, I had visions that I may have found The Key! Or, at least, a light at the end of the tunnel. But, like so many things in this area of study, the lights were simply those of an oncoming train!!!
    Tks yr help
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!