Thread: Weather / Sea conditions 13 August 1942

Thanks

Default Weather / Sea conditions 13 August 1942

Hopefully one for our met experts.

I'm looking for the weather and sea conditions in the vicinity of Tory Island off the coast of Donegal, Ireland for the afternoon of 13 August 1942. On that day Liberator IIIA. LV341 Z/120 ditched about 37 miles west south west of Tory Island.

Any help would be very appreciated

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

There's some info here:

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/dathistcharts.aspx

though I know the weather guys have their reservations about the site.

Thanks

Peter,
    Yr ditching position is approx 55N 09W. It was clearly daylight and the sea temperature at that time of year would have been between 12 - 14 C (maybe even 16 C). The wind would probably have been westerly about, possibly, 10-15 kts (and reducing). This may have given Wind Waves of about 2 metres. There might have been some scattered showers.
    However on the preceding 3 days there had been W to NW Gales (even Severe Gales) over much of the N Atlantic. This long Fetch, combined with the long time would have produced a very serious Swell. Very difficult to put figures to it without seeing the actual plotted charts for the day, but that combination of circumstances would have led, in my opinion, to a Noteworthy Swell Event. The Swell would probably have been coming from around 280(-ish) degrees. So we would be looking for a preferred ditching direction (along the Swell) of 010, or 190.
    Best hindcast I can do for you. If Lyffe sees this he may want to elaborate, or slightly change some parameters, but I think we've got the broad brush about right.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter/mhuxt,

Many thanks for that, its a great help. A few years ago I had a weather chart for that day covering the North Atlantic, but I could not read it, and since then its been misplaced, if it ever turns up I'll give you a shout. My father was lost on Z/120 that day along with three others of the crew of eight, he couldn't swim, I always wondered what he would have had to put up with

Your help is appreciated

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Peter,

The only other thing I'd add to Peter's hindcast is that the visibility would probably have been good with about 3/4 cover of cloud (cumulus and stratocumulus) base around 2000-2500 ft.

You can obtain a copy of the weather data for that day from the Met Office library.

Either email the library (metlib@metoffice.gov.uk) or write (The National Meteorological Library, Fitzroy Rd, Exeter, Devon, EX1 3PB), asking for a copy of the Daily Weather Report for 13 Aug 1942. The DWR is a 4 page publication that provides a weather chart for 0100 GMT and another for 0700 GMT (standard times at this stage of the war), plus weather observations for about 70 British and Irish met offices for 0100, 0700, 1300 and 1800 GMT. This list includes Blacksod Point on the northwest coast of Ireland, which is as close as you will get to the location of the accident. The observations are in met code, but they are easy enough to decode (just contact either Peter or myself).

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

Many thanks for your guidance. I shall be sending an email soon and if I do have a problem with deciphering the reply I will certainly shout

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Give the email address for the Met Office Library by Brian. I emailed the office at 15.30 yesterday and at 11.15 this morning I received a reply with the requested documents.

What a fantastic service.

Thanks Brian

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

How the devil did you do that - I have to wait two days! If you have problems interpreting the messages email me off board at monbrythATaolDOTcom and we'll sort something out.

Brian