Thread: Advice on WWI: Canadian/British records

Thanks

Default Advice on WWI: Canadian/British records

My apologies for being a little off topic here, but I am hoping one of our members with Canadian research experience can help my brother-in-law, who is starting to research his grandfather's military career.

Luther Day was a British citizen who was born and resident in Shanghai. When war broke out he was actually studying in Canada, and, with his brother, joined the Seaforth Highlanders in 1915. He went to France in 1916, transferred into the Royal Engineers (I gather this was also a Canadian regiment), and from there went into the RFC where, according to his son, he flew Sopwith Camels. He was discharged from the RAF in 1919 and ultimately returned home to China.

My brother-in-law is interested in finding out more about his grandfather's entire military career, but particularly the aviation side of things. The question is would his records be in the Canadian Archives, or the UK National Archives, or both, and how would the experts recommend approaching this research--from the Canadian or UK end?

Thanks

Default Luther G. Day, born Shanghai, China, 19 September, 1897

Hi Natalie,

Go to the Library and Archives Canada website here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

And enter his name.

His attestation papers are there with all sorts of information on both sides of the page and instructions on his whole file.

I cannot correct my error in the subject heading but he was born 14 September, 1897, not 19 September.

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I have printed out the attestation papers. This is indeed the right person. I suppose the first thing to do will be to get these Canadian archive papers, but do you think it likely that they will include/duplicate the RFC part of his career? I am not sure of the mechanism whereby a serviceman would have changed from one country's army to another, but presumably he must somehow have done this.

Natalie

Thanks

Natalie,

Suggest you post your question here:
    http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/index.php

Lots of expertise there regarding CEF records and probably answers to your question "where" records are likely to be located. Because he originally attested to the CEF there will be a record in Ottawa for the period of his Canadian service. The Royal Engineers were an Imperial unit, not Canadian, so his RE/RFC/RAF records will be held in the U.K. archives.

He would be required to take discharge from the CEF upon joining an Imperial unit such as the Royal Engineers, and at that time his Canadian file would be closed. I see by his attestation paper that he joined the 71st Battalion, which arrived in England on 11 April 1916 and was shortly after broken up to provide reinforcements to other units.

His Canadian file will cost in the range $20-$40 depending on its size and will take 5-6 weeks for delivery.
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 30th March 2009 at 10:28. Reason: add info