Thread: W/O Ernest Bruce Lascelles, 580224 RAF

Thanks

Default W/O Ernest Bruce Lascelles, 580224 RAF

Hello,

I am looking for details about the death of W/O Ernest Bruce Lascelles, 580224 RAF. As far as I can see, he was lost without trace with a Warwick from 6 OTU on 13/11 1945.

He was known to have been the pilot of Hudson N7361, UA-G from 269 Sqn. Survived a shot down into the Gaulosen Fjord (inlet), Norway on a mission 11/6 1940 to Trondheim Harbour, where Scharnhorst, cruisers and several German destroyers were anchored.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hi Finn,

I'm assuming that you have seen the page on the Flyvrak website about the incident where Lascelles was shot down in Norway in 1940 http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/steinshylla.html

I'll ask the Flyvrak boys if they have any additional info on your man but I guess if they had it would probably be on the website.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Finn,

From Colin Cummings 'The Price of Peace':

13 Nov 45, HG121 Warwick I, 6OTU, Covesea Skerries Moray Firth, 6 killed
    The aircraft had been airborne for just over 4 hours on an operational training exercise and the pilot as letting down through cloud over the sea at night. With the alitmeter reading 440 feet, the aircraft struck the water and the sole survivor was the aircraft's captain.

[then follows a brief summary as to how Lascelles came to be shot down in 1940 and made PoW, apparently based on details featured in Oliver Clutton-Brock's 'Footprints in the Sands of Time.]

Warrant Officer Ernest Bruce LASCELLES, DFM, Co-pilot
    Flight Sergeant Finlay Simpson URGUHART
    Flying Officer Peter Francis PARSONS
    Flight Sergeant Kenneth O'NEILL
    Flight Sergeant Douglas Fredercik HAMBLETT
    and believed to be:
    Flight Lieutenant Norman Ernest Harold VIRGIN

There is no mention of the captain's name.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Gents,

Crew of 7. Two saved from wreck but one died later.

NAIRN, MORAYSHIRE.
    About 11.15 on the night of the 13th of November, 1945, an R.A.F. Warwick aeroplane was seen by the Lossiemouth coastguard to crash in the sea in flames, six to eight miles in a north-easterly direction from Lossiemouth. The wind was slight from the south-east and the sea calm. The coastguard enlisted the services of the Nairn motor fishing boat Larus, and with her crew of eight she put out at 11.45. Of the aeroplane’s crew of seven the Larus was able to save only two, and one of them died before he was landed. One of the rescuers was lost overboard from the Larus the morning after the rescue when she was going out to the fishing grounds. - Rewards, £8.
    (See Buckie, Accounts of Services by Life-boats, 1945, page 49.)
    (Source: RNLI Records of Service 1939-46)

NOVEMBER 13TH. - BUCKIE, BANFFSHIRE.
    An aeroplane had crashed in the sea. An air-sea rescue launch picked up one body, but the life-boat found nothing. - Rewards, £15 12s. (See Nairn, Services by Shore-boats, 1946, page 71.)
    (Source: RNLI Records of Service 1939-46)
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default W/O Ernest Bruce Lascelles, 580224 RAF

Hi to all of you,

I am very grateful to receive your details about W/O Lascelles. He was an outstanding person of Australian origin.

Best regards

Finn Buch