Default Unaccounted airmen - 30-1-1942

What were the places of death registration for:

A - Not found Flight archives:
    F/O John A.C. BROWN - 83331 - age 41.

B - Died on active service:
    AC2 Norman MYERS - 1506850, and
    Cpl Robert J. PAYNE - 633064.

C - Also looking for the unit of:
    P/O John M. JOYCE-CLARKE - 66588, missing and commemorated on Panel 70 of the Runnymede Memorial.

D - Proposed aircraft losses for this day:
    Defiant I - N3337 - 6 FPP - crashed in forced landing 10 miles NE of Ternhill.
    Hind I - K6838 - 4 FPP - flew into ground Eaglesham Moor, Renfrewshire.
    Magister I - N5434 - 4 FPP - crashed on take-off Arbroath.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    I found only, Brown,41, registered at Rugby Warwickshire
    The other 2 didn't come up but I note from CWGC that Payne is buried at Petty which is in Aberdeenshire and may be registered up there in Scotland and 2 of your proposed a/c are also in Scotland
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Henk,

JOYCE-CLARKE, was the pilot of Tiger Moth II N6719 of No.1 AACU. His passenger was AUS403005 F/O. John Douglas Bias ROWLANDS RAAF. The aircraft hit the sea whilst low flying, off Weybourne, Norfolk. Both men were killed.

Joyce-Clarke's body was never recovered. Rowlands lies in Great Bircham (St Mary) Churchyard.

Rowlands' body was recovered on 26 April and he was buried with full military honours on 1 May 1942.

See: http://norfolkwargraves.org.uk/Allied.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st April 2009 at 23:15. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Dick, Petty Parish Church is in Inverness-shire and is very close to Inverness airport (Dalcross).

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Thanks Linzee
    I picked the name Petty from a Google map. The confession I have to make is that for about 3 months in 1963 I was a summer relief Air Traffic Controller at Dalcross!! but I don't recall the name Petty up there!!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks all for your help.
    Best regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

There is a 28 yr old Norman Meyers in the Eglin district of Moray, Scotland. in 1942.

There is a 21 yr old Robert James Payne in Petty District, Inverness during 1942.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I've found that Payne was killed in an accident at Dalcross. The ORB for 2 AGS states January 30th 1942, “Accident to Armadillo Cpl Payne fatally injured.”

From a bit of poking around on google I see that an Armadillo was an armoured vehicle built around an available lorry chassis, so it sounds like a possible roll over or collision.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Hind I - K6838

Form 1180 give sole fatality as pilot

First Officer C L Park ATA

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2842459

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello

F/O John A.C. BROWN - 83331 - the Rugby Advertiser of February 10th 1942 reported the following:

Flying Officer's Death
    The driver of the lorry was exonerated at the inquest at Rugby, last Friday, on Flying Officer John Albert Campbell Brown, 2, Coniston Road, Harlescott, Shrewsbury, who was killed when the car he was driving came into collision with a lorry on the London Road, near the Autos Cafe, the previous Friday.
    John Reginald Worsdale...said that at about 11.15 a.m. he was driving an eight wheeled lorry at about 16 to 18 mp.h. towards Coventry. He saw a vehicle approachingat a normal speed, then a car came out from behind this with the obvious intention of passing it, and skidded right across the road to get in front of it. Witness attempted to get his lorry on the grass verge, but could not avoid the car.

AC2 Norman MYERS - 1506850 - the Yorkshire Evening Post of February 3rd 1942 reported the following:

Aircraftman Norman Myers (28), who has been killed on active service with the R.A.F. in Scotland, is the husband of Mrs. E. Myers, of Leeds Road, Bradford.

The Statutory Deaths Register on the Scotland's People website records that he died at 11.10 p.m. at Gray's Hospital, Elgin, due to a fractured skull. No unit listed on the Grave Registration Report Form.

Regards

Simon