Thread: Squadron Leader E.A. Cowling DFC

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader E.A. Cowling DFC

I am a journalist and author and am trying to flesh out the autobiography of a local war hero, Squadron Leader E.A. Cowling DFC, service nos RAFVR 937262/69449 with a view to doing an article.
    Unfortunately Ted Cowling's book is rather vague on dates, squadrons, units etc.
    Of particular interest are the exact date in 1945 of his promotion to Squadron Leader.
    Also details of his five operational missions in Fairey Battles as a wireless operator/gunner in May 1940, during which he may have shot down an attacking fighter. The book gives his home base as Duxford. Presumably they staged through France.
    Also details of his 15 bombing missions as a Wellington pilot in Bomber Command in 1943. The suggested squadron is No. 7 Squadron based at Oakington. Apparently it was a special Wellington flight there.
    Those are the key areas, but if anybody has any other references at all which help plot his career at any other units, including his time with 210 Squadron and 279 Squadron (both early war), and 15 PAFU at Castle Combe (1944 and 1945), I should be grateful.
    His DFC has already been covered by a separate posting by Tom Docherty (who suggested I put on this posting to seek your collective help with these details).
    Thank you!

Thanks

Hi,

According to the RAF October 1945 Officer list :-

69449 E.A.C COWLING F/L 12-6-1943 Air Gunner/Wireless Operator
    Maybe he was an Acting Squadron Leader war time !

Mark

Thanks

No Battles at Duxford, there is an AC Cowling A/G in 53 Sq. Blenheim in France. The only Wellingtons at Oakington were 3 PRU in 1940/41, otherwise it was Stirlings from 1940 flown by 7 Squadron.

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader E.A. Cowling DFC

Many thanks for your help. Looks like I'm going to need to do some digging.

hellcat1839

Thanks

I think you will find that 101 Squadron were at Oakington with Wellingtons from July 1941until February 1942.