Thread: 70 Sqn Wellington Crew

Thanks

Default 70 Sqn Wellington Crew

I am trying to research the story behind a 70 Sqn Wellington crew shot down over Egypt on the night of 27 june 1942.
    Does anyone have acccess to records that could tell me what role on the aircraft Sgt G Jackson and Sgt T L Brown performed?
    I believe one of them was a 2nd pilot but that is through a process of elimination.
    Any 70 Sqn experts out there?

Thanks

Hi Tom
    From RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Med by Gunby and Temple, the a/c concerned was Wellington IC,Z9102 and was sent to search for targets of opportunity in the area of Daba. It was attacked by a fighter which set an engine on fire and the crew abandoned the a/c . 4 of the 6 man crew survived including the 2 you are seeking and they walked NE until being picked by a truck and taken to Fuka. In the book the authors attempt to list the crew in order of function which would make Jackson the co-pilot and Brown an Air Gunner who ,as his name is last on the list, was probably the Tail Gunner on the a/c
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick,
    many thanks for that. I have got the listing from the Bomber Losses book but didn't know the significance of how they were listed, but what you say does fit with what I know about the other guys.
    Next question is, does anyone know the first names of that crew:
    Fred Clayton
    G (?) Jackson
    Arthur Hickox
    W (?) McPherson
    Maurice Berg
    T (?) Brown
    Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Tom,

Berg was the front gunner.

Source: 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1915-1942)'.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Tom
    If you have access to the Bomber Losses book look in the introduction where the authors explain what they are able to do about listing the crew in some sort of order of function, it is very similar to what Bill Chorley was able to do for his much larger work covering the losses operating out of the UK
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Errol,
    Thanks for that - don't have that book but I was told that he had bailed out of his front turret never to be seen again.
    Does the book have any more details about him?

Hi Dick,
    Thanks for that - have read it now.
    Regards,
    Tom