Thread: Liberator GR.VIII KK339. 59 Squadron

Thanks

Default Liberator GR.VIII KK339. 59 Squadron

I have it that this aircraft had 'Lab' fitted in February 1945. Anyone know what 'Lab' is?

Any help appreciated

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Peter,
    Might help, might not. I have an abbreviation for LABS (Low Altitude Bombing System)

Thanks

Hi Alan,

That might be it, although there probably wasn't much chance to try the system out. LAB was fitted to the aircraft in February 1945 and then the aircraft went to 59 Squadron in March 1945 and was lost just two months later in May of that year, crashing at Ballykelly.

Many thanks

Peter.

Thanks

LABS, as I know it, is a USAF acronym introduced in the mid 1950s for a nuclear weapon delivery technique, also known as toss bombing. I don't think this applied to a Liberator in 1945!

Just a guess, but is it possibly Leigh Air Borne light, or something else to do with the Leigh light?

Thanks

It's probably not the Leigh Light, which I have just seen abbreviated as L/L. Also, the Low Altitude Bombing System, from what I could discover in a quick search, seems to be a technique for lofting nukes from aircraft, rather than a piece of technology, although there is some gadgetry associated with the practice.

The LABS technique is also referred to as the "Goofy Loop".

http://www.aggregat456.com/2007/03/labs-and-goofy-loop.html

There's a reference to nuke-bearing Canberras from the '60s being fitted with LABS:

Equipped with Low Altitude Bombing System (LABS) computers, crews trained to toss their bombs in a 3.5g climb, then loop over and race away to escape the nuclear blast.

And another reference to B47s being the first a/c where the tactic was used: In 1957, the USAF publicly demonstrated its new low-altitude, strategic bombing tactics...

http://www.defencetalk.com/world_military_aircraft/bombers/b-47_stratojet_20070824.php
    David

Thanks

US radar systems developed by Radiation Laboratories(RAD LAB):

http://www.vectorsite.net/ttwiz_05.html

A

Thanks

Thanks Amrit

Its looking good.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Just found this:

"The VIII differed from the VI only in having a re-located wireless operator's station above the rear bomb bay. This gave more space in the nose for a better-equipped and roomier navigator's station. The Coastal Command VIIIs also had an with improved 3-centimetre Mk X or Mk XV radar, and some had a radar bomb sight was known as LABS (Low Altitude Bomb Sight) for security reasons, linked the main radar, the attack radar (in the bomb-aimer's position) the Fluxgate Master Compass and the auto-pilot."

http://forum.armyairforces.com/tm.aspx?m=67528&mpage=1#67600

A

Thanks

Amrit,

Many thanks for the additional info, its a great help. Almost what Alan said right at the beginning, the extra details are very helpful

Regards
    Peter.