Thread: RAF Graduation postcard 1942

betty Guest

Default RAF Graduation postcard 1942

I have a copy of a card that shows the following: A plane ( not sure what kind), inscribed on the card: Genoa, 61st squadron, 13/14 November 1942. Names are: Sgt. Walters, Sgt. Spencer, Sgt. Cocks, Sgt. Halls,P., Sgt. Young, Sgt. Daley, & Sgt. Briggs. Any help to identify this card or the men would be appreciated. We believe my uncle was part of the crew. Sgt. P. Hall. Thank you, Happy New Year!
    Betty.

Thanks

Hi Betty
    If 61 Sqn is correct then the a/c would be a Lancaster with which the Sqn was equipped from Apr '42 based at Syerston ,although some a/c were detached to St Eval at some time whilst the Sqn was at Syerston. The Genoa reference could be from a Bomber Command Op to that city on the date you give but I don't have any confirmation that 61 Sqn took part. The Lancaster had a normal crew of 7
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 1st January 2008 at 19:23.

Thanks

Default 13/14 November 1942

Betty,
    from diary of RAF BC:

13/14 November 1942

Genoa

67 Lancasters and 9 Stirlings of the Pathfinder Force and 5 Group. More successful bombing was carried out but no details are available. No aircraft lost.

But sorry no info if 61 Sq took part or not.

Pavel

Thanks

I've got a similar one for 61 Squadron who went to Genoa the week before on 7/8 November, signed by all the crew under S/L Deas and the A.O.C. 5 Group W. A. Colyton. It is a Lancaster in the photo'. I believe they were given out for particularly precise bombing, usually confirmed by an on-board camera.
    Stewart McLoughlin

betty Guest

Default Thank you

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question about the Graduation card.
    We are still looking for anyone who knew my uncle, Sgt P Hall known as Paddy.Betty.