Thread: Captain A H L Soames (RFC)

Thanks

Default Captain A H L Soames (RFC)

My apologies for going outside the normal time frame of the forum, but I'm trying to find the citation that went with the award of the MC to Captain A H L Soames (RFC). This MC was one of the very first to be awarded, being announced in the 1915 New Year Honours List. If any of our experts can help I'd be extremely grateful.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

Brian, Doesn't answer your question and I suspect that no citation was published in the LG, nor does one appear in the London Times, but here are the LG entries etc I could find:
    War Office, Whitehall,
    21st July, 1908.
    SPECIAL RESERVE.
    INFANTRY.
    The Royal Welsh Fusiliers, In accordance with th.e terms of the Order in Council, dated 9th April, 1908, the 3rd Battalion, having completed the prescribed period of annual training on the 27th June, 1908, has been transferred to the Army Reserve as a Unit of Special Reservists, with effect from the 28th June, 1908.
    The undermentioned Officers, having assented to be transferred, are appointed Officers of the Special Reserve of Officers with effect from the 28th June, 1908, retaining the rank and seniority which they held while in the Militia : —
    Second Lieutenants:—
    Arthur H. Soames.

War Office, Whitehall,
    21st May, 1909.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    The undermentioned successful Candidates at the Competitive Examination of Officers of the Special Reserve, &c., held in March last, to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 22nd May, 1909:—
    CAVALRY.
    3rd (King's Own) Hussars, Second Lieutenant Arthur Henry Leslie Soames, from 3rd Battalion, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers, in succession to Lieutenant H. Leney, deceased.

War Office,
    21st February, 1911.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    CAVALRY.
    3rd (King's Own) Hussars Second Lieutenant Arthur H. L. Soames to be Lieutenant. Dated 31st January, 1911.

War Office,
    9th May, 1913.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    ROYAL FLYING CORPS.
    Military Wing, The undermentioned to be Flying Officers. Dated 17th April, 1913: —
    *Lieutenant Arthur H. L. Soames, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars.
    * To be seconded.

War Office,
    12th May, 1914.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    ESTABLISHMENTS.
    ROYAL FLYING CORPS.
    Military Wing,
    The undermentioned Flying Officers are advanced to Flight Commanders. Dated 1st May, 1914: —
    *Lieutenant Arthur H. L. Soames, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars.
    * Is granted the temporary rank of Captain whilst so employed.

Royal Warrant for Military Cross signed 28 Dec 14
    London Times dated 1 Jan 15

War Office;
    1st January, 1915.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Military Cross upon the undermentioned Officers and. Warrant Officers, who have been duly recommended for the same under the terms of the Royal Warrant: —
    Lieutenant (temporary Captain) A. H. L. Soames, 3rd Hussars (Flight Commander, Royal Flying Corps, Military Wing).
    Third Supplement (LG 29024 dated 1 Jan 15) to Lg dated 29 Dec 14

Arthur Henry Leslie Soames died 7 Jul 15, buried Gresford (All Saints) Churchyard
    CWGC

War Office,
    5th August, 1915.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    ESTABLISHMENTS.
    ROYAL FLYING CORPS.
    Central Flying School.
    The undermentioned appointment is made: —
    Instructor—
    Captain George B. Stopford, Royal Artillery, (temporary Captain) A. H. .L. Soames, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars, deceased. Dated 22nd July, 1915.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thank you Terry, I'd found some of that from the 'Flight' archives, but you've added more. I suspect there may not be a citation as this literally was the first batch of MCs to be awarded, but felt I should make an attempt to find one. Soames was the first CO of the CFS Experimental Flight, the unit that eventually evolved into A&AEE. Although the Upavon ORB dates its formation as 14 December 1914 with Soames in charge, it is possible there was some experimental flying at Upavon a little earlier, and it was my hope that his citation (the MC being awarded for operations in France) might have given a clue as to when he returned to the UK.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

The following TNA file may assist (located on the online catalogue).

WO 339/7318 SOAMES A H L, Capt 1915-1919

Errol

Thanks

Thank you Errol, but I already have a copy. He was killed at Netheravon on 7 July 1915 when he was hit by fragments from a bomb he had just detonated (it was a ground experiment). Unfortunately the file deals almost exclusively with finances - how much he owed the Army and how much was due to his estate - and exchanges of letters between the Army and his solicitors. In the event his estate benefited to the tune of £48 18s 11d. Disappointingly it contains nothing about his service. A fair bit can be found in 'Flight' about his flying training, which takes me up to 1913, but there is little thereafter.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 2nd January 2008 at 22:04. Reason: Incorrect date

Thanks

Brian, My final LG entry was incomplete and should read as follows:
    Instructor—
    Captain George B. Stopford, Royal Artillery, a Flight Commander, vice Lieutenant (temporary Captain) A. H. L. Soames, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars, deceased. Dated 22nd July, 1915.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thank you for your assistance gentlemen. I've managed to resolve the problem by referring to the RAF Museum. At 2200 GMT yesterday I emailed DORIS asking if the Museum held Army Form B. 103c for Soames. (Although this form is also known as a Casualty Form, as well as listing medical matters it sometimes records movements.)

I was surprised to receive a reply from the Museum at 1020 GMT this morning, giving me the details of Soames' movements from his Form B. 103c. Is this a record - 12 hours 20 minutes to get a complete response from the Museum?

Brian