Thread: Mae West Life Jacket

Thanks

Default Mae West Life Jacket

I appologise if this question falls outside the scope of this forum.....

I have an original 1944 dated Mae West. Over the years it spent in a barn, dampness has got into the flourescent die and this has now covered a large area of the Mae West.

My question is, does anyone know of a method I can use to remove the die and try and get the Mae West back into a better looking condition, or would it be better to leave it as it is?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Cheers,

TEC

Thanks

Is not it the dye used to make colour spot on water? Anyway, I am afraid that unless it is dispersing in a not very warm water, it will be much safer to leave it as it is. Be careful with any soaps or detergents, as they may affect the mae west itself. I have had a very unpleasant experience with a military bag and an ordinary soap.

Thanks

Hi
    The dye in lifejackets was designed to show on water and be persistent,it was notorious for it's capacity to defy cleaning from skin and clothing. The only thing I can suggest, apart from leaving it alone, is to contact the RAF Museum to see if they have ,or know of, any documentation concerning the removal of the stain.Franek's advice to leave well enough alone is probably the best bet.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I was cautious about doing anything too drastic! Its just a shame that it has all leaked out and stained the Mae West so badly.

The internal kapoks are in perfect condition though.

Cheers,
    TEC