Thread: Letsby Avenue

Thanks

Default Letsby Avenue

I hope Ross will permit this light-hearted post.
    The good citizens of the The Peoples Republic Of South Yorkshire have a very limited sense of humour - and what there is is not always the same as the rest of us!
    I was - as one does - trawling Google Earth when I espied a runway I had not noticed before. It was a few clicks east of Sheffield, between Brinsworth and Darnall. The boys over at AIX tell me that it is (or was) Sheffield City Airport - now defunct. No association with the RAF whatsoever. However, I blew up the GE image to attempt to find some identifier. No go! But what did make me laugh was that the road immdediately to the north of the runway was labelled "Letsby Avenue".
    Now many airmen, at Square Bashing, will have heard Drill Instructors, SNCOs, and even Warrant Officers shout "Come on you 'orrible, scruffy, lot - let's be having you"!!!! Somebody had a sense of humour!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS For those readers who's native language is not English I will try to explain - if necessary!
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Falkland Islands version

Not the first Letsby Avenue I suspect. One of the roads at RAF Mount Pleasant in the FI leads to the RAF Police HQ and was named Letsby Avenue certainly as early as 1990 and probably earlier - good example of military humour.

Thanks

Staying on the RAF theme (albeit, only just), there is a 'Letsbe Avenue' leading up to the front door of HQ Provost Marshal (Army) at ex RAF Upavon.