Thread: Wartime Golf Rules

Thanks

Default Wartime Golf Rules

From a wartime leaflet given to me by my late father. Genuine golf rules introduced during the Battle of Britain temporarily amending the standing rules/orders. Brought out to cover golfers playing during enemy action. (Typed out from original leaflet -sic)

1) During an enemy air attack whether by machine-gun fire or by aerial bombardment, players may take cover without penalty for slow play.

2) Players should make all endeavors to pick up bomb and shell shrapnel splinters from the fairways thus preventing them damaging the green keepers lawn mower.

3) The position of known unexploded bombs will be suitably marked by warning flags at a reasonable distance but is not guaranteed safe for players. Players must decide on the spot.

4) Bomb and shell shrapnel splinters may be removed from greens or elsewhere when within one club length. No penalty awarded.

5) A ball moved as a result of enemy action may be replaced at its original position. No penalty awarded if ball is blown to pieces. Should this occur, a free drop is allowed.

6) A free drop is allowed if ball comes to rest within a bomb crater including unexploded bomb craters.

7) A player whose stroke is affected by the noise of enemy action, whether machine-gun fire or falling bombs may replay the shot under penalty of one stroke.

8) In the event of enemy aircrew landing on the course, they are to be taken to hole 19 and have rules of etiquette explained before handing over to the authorities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you read this you just know the Germans had lost before they began.

Thanks

Default Golf and War

namrondooh, Hi,
    I do know that on Op CORPORATE (1982) there was some considerable correspondence between military golfers on (a) Ascension, and (b) Port Stanley and the Authorities at St Andrews.
    The Ascension lot were merely concerned with volcanic dust "greens".
    The Stanley lot however were concerned that the local course may have been sown with anti-personnel mines - a real possibility! Now I am not a golfer, but I am assured that the correspondence concerned The Rules such that if one's ball struck the body of a previous player who had been killed by a landmine then what were the penalties? Or, if one's ball initiated the explosion of a landmine was this 'a natural hazard' - or otherwise!
    I should point out that this correspondence with St Andrews was being carried out by military golfing folk who were, already, doing an 18-hr day in their military duties.
    Whether "The Michael" was being extracted by virtue of this exchange of letters I am not qualified to say!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th April 2009 at 15:39.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!