Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Motor Launches

Adam Thompson Guest

Default High Speed Motor Launches

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but can someone point me to a good reference on RAF motor launches and their development/use for SAR during the 1930s?

Does anyone have a basic command structure for them in 1939. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Adam

Thanks

Adam,
    Although the original type of HSL (the Scott Paine 63 footer with three Napier Lion marine engines) was in use in 1939, it was not then considered to be an Air-Sea Rescue boat, but an "Air Liaison" boat, concerned more with towing high speed targets for Coastal Command aircraft than with rescuing downed aircrew from the sea. In fact the design proved to be rather poorly set up for the latter job by reason of its high freeboard, and lack of ability of crew members to move around below deck whilst underway, and was also rather fragile in the open sea. However it was all that was available when the decision was made to set up a dedicated ASR organisation when losses of Fighter Command became too high during the Battle of Britain and afterwards. I am certain that other Board members will soon be advising some excellent references for you.
    David D

Thanks

RAF Air Sea Rescue Service 1918-1986 by Jon Sutherland & Diane Canwell published by Pen & Sword ISBN 1 - 84415 - 155 - 7

The other source I have found is Air Publication 3232 (1952) from the RAF Air Historical Branch
    The Second World War
    1939-45
    RAF
    Air Sea Rescue

Adam Thompson Guest

Thank you both for your responses.

John, I have read the AHB publiction, but am finding it very difficult to track down the Canwell/Sutherland book. Hopefully I can get it through inter-library loans

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Thompson View Post
    Thank you both for your responses.

but am finding it very difficult to track down the Canwell/Sutherland book. Thanks again
    This is the book you want, development of the craft and service covered in great detail, including the role of TE Lawrence. It also has specs for the craft, costs etc. We have a copy in Newhaven Museum, if you want any specifics looked up not a problem but it is too much to copy being about 1" thick

Thanks

Adam,
    This book is available to buy on Amazon. Price about £20 new in hardback but cheaper if you buy second-hand.
    Bill

Adam Thompson Guest

Again, thank you both for your efforts. I think I've managed to track down a copy, but if that fails then I will turn to Amazon.

Thanks

Adam, (and all), I always try the ABE website for books and it usually pays off as they tend to only list books that are actually in stock. There are several new and second-hand copies of the Sutherland/Cranwell book there.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

Adam Thompson Guest

Thanks Bruce.

I've know been able to obtain a copy and should have it on my shelves in the next 10 - 14 days.

Thanks again to all.

Thanks

Adam,
    Have you seen the following site. It may be of some use.

Robert.

http://www.geocities.com/aj_p_joyce/