Thread: A burial query re a 178 RAF mission 28/8/44

Thanks

Default A burial query re a 178 RAF mission 28/8/44

This is a follow on from a query posted on another forum ,RAF Liberators website,by a nephew of one of the crew [Turner] of 178 sqdn RAF Liberator, EW160, which crashed while mining the Danube, 28th August 1944.The nephew knows little of how his uncle was lost on this mission or about the mission & has been helped with crew details by the site's moderator .
    Crew were -
    Flt/Sgt V Ansell -pilot
    Sgt WS Barron
    Sgt RE North
    Sgt JD Jarvis
    Sgt JJ Turner
    Sgt PO Mayfield
    Sgt AH Dunning
    All RAF as far as I know

I looked at the burials of the crew & found a conundrum ?

In the CWGC debt of honour listing I couldn't find ,for 27/28th Aug.1944, PO Mayfield ,V Ansell, WS Barron so they must have survived the crash or been thrown clear, then becoming POW or escapees ?

I found JD Jarvis ,RE North, JJ Turner & AH Dunning on the CWGC site & 3 of them are on the Malta Memorial but NOT North [see below]
    So their bodies were undiscovered or burnt in the plane, if it was on fire ,or if it crashed into the Danube with bodies inside ? I've no idea where the plane crashed .

RE North was buried in Belgrade, now Beograd , CWGC cemetery so presumably his body was thrown out, found in the plane or survived intact ??

Does anyone know in what part of the Danube the mining was taking place? In Hungary, Yugoslavia ? The Danube flows through Belgrade.

Does anyone know anything about this mission & the crew who seemingly survived & why North was buried in Belgrade? Was it the nearest CWGC cemetery ?

Thank you
    Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 13th April 2009 at 22:31. Reason: correcting crew list

Thanks

The Air Britain book "The Liberator in RAF and Commonwealth Service" records that EW160 "FTR from low-level supplies drop to Polish Home Army in Warsaw 16/8/44".

Steve

Thanks

Default A burial query re a 178 RAF mission 28/8/44

Hello Anne,

Take a look at item no. 551, where the aircraft is mentioned to be lost on mining between Dalj and Dubovac.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080112083021/http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/schenck/yu_losses/losses.htm

I have no idea of the origin of this website. It was only possible to find through the "Web Archive".

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Steve & Finn
    Thanks very much for your replies .

Finn -the web link shows EW160 1 KIA & 6 RTD ? CWGC gives 4 men lost. 3 MIA & One buried in Belgrade.
    Steve- more conundrums.The sortie info. I have is that EW160 was lost while mining the Danube 28/8/44 .

Google has a few listings, seemingly inaccurate .One that EW160 was lost Poland 28/8/44 .
    From other sources --
    31 SAAF EW161 & EW248 failed to return on 16/17th Aug .Poland [Heroism Warsaw G du Toit]
    178 RAF KG933 failed to return 16/17th Aug.Pilot Flt /Sgt Wright [Flights of the Forgotten KA Merrick]

From Martin Bowman's The B24 Liberator page 85 ---
    "Gardening" sorties continued near Belgrade throughout July ,August & September "
    Patrick Macdonald's Through Darkness to Light, Page 246 also mentions mining into Yugoslavia in late August.Hence North's burial in Belgrade

If 3 men survived & returned wouldn't they be able to pinpoint where EW160 crashed ? Or too difficult after the war if they were POW ? Turner's nephew would like to know more about the crash.

I neglected to write JD Jarvis in the crew list of 7 men in my first post & have now edited it .

Anne