Thread: Decorations for a Fairey Battle crew ?

Thanks

Default Decorations for a Fairey Battle crew ?

Hallo all,

Could anyone with access to the Tavender DFM book please check if this medal was awarded to any of the following;
    Sgt. Brumby, Sgt. Hedley and LAC Werner.

I have no Christian names or service numbers but am hoping to learn these among other things. These three men suffered forced landings in 103 Squadron Battles on June 14th and 15th, 1940. Werner also had to bale out of a third Battle on June 9th !

I would like to believe their courage and devotion to duty was rewarded. As far as I can tell all survived the war.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Brumby and Werner do not appear in Tavender. There are a couple of Hedleys for later in the war and for different squadrons.

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 14th April 2009 at 13:30.

Thanks

Martin,

From 'Men of the Battle of Britain' Kenneth G Wynn

Norman BRUMBY

742228 Sgt Pilot British 615 & 607 Sqdns

Born in Kingston-upon-Hull, Brumby was educated at Boulevard Secondary School. He joined the RAFVR in October 1938 as an Airman u/t Pilot. He was called up on September 1 1939, completed his training and joined 103 SQUADRON, FLYING BATTLES !

Brumby volunteered for Fighter Command and was posted to 615 Sqn at Prestwick on September 3 1940. He moved to 607 Sqn at Tangmere on the 21st. He was shot down in combat with BF109s over the Isle of Wight on October 1 and killed.

Brumby was 22. He is buried in Hull Northern Cemetery, Yorkshire.

I don't believe Brumby could of been with 103 Sqn very long, due to his training.

Mark

Thanks

Between you and I, I suspect that what has been shown to be the sort of things that went on (particularly for Battles) in France in 1940 was 'not out of the ordinary'. Thus no gongs.
    It is quite extraordinary that the RAF was expected to go to France, and to stop the German invasion, and to do it with inefficient aircraft crewed by poorly trained crews who - as this account shows did their utmost. This was nothing short of chucking Christians to the Lions in the arenas of ancient Rome.
    It is possible the Air Force Commanders knew it couldn't be done. But they did not have the PR machine to counteract the mealy-mouthed, parsimonious, policitians who had landed the RAF in this situation in the first place.
    Might I indicate that damn-all has changed? We've got the same parsimony, and limp-wristed apologies from the politicians for not spending the correct amount of money required to achieve their political aims.
    There are times when I begin to think that my 41-yr(+) employment in Air Ministry/MoD, in Uniform and out of it, as a Meteorologist, might just have been a total, and utter, waste of time and effort.
    I can understand what motivated Guy Fawkes and his mates!
    HT(doesn't)H
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hallo all and my sincere thanks for your help,

Amrit,
    Just what I needed. 'My' Hedley (an observer in 1940) could be one of those later awarded a DFM, but without a first name or service number we cannot tell.

Marks,
    I have Men of the Battle of Britain in the 1990 and 1993 editions but there is no mention of 103 Squadron or Battles in his entry in the former and he is not in the Supplementary Volume. I expect you have the 2000 edition which I do not, so I am delighted with your information.

Peter,
    It is hard (impossible ?) to argue with what you have written. I like to believe that we can all learn from history and that we in our own small way are contributing to making at least one aspect of it more accurate. But do the people who make the decisions today ever learn from the past ?

Regards,

Martin.