Thread: S/L William Arden HOGG - 2930 Sqd - Tripoli

Thanks

Default S/L William Arden HOGG - 2930 Sqd - Tripoli

Researching another of our local casualties, CWGC has him as Sq. L. William Arden HOGG, 2930 Sqd., RAFVR, died 16 August 1943, aged 26, buried Tripoli, Libya. The Times has him as A/ Fl. Lt. "Died on Active Service". Could anyone enlighten me as to what he/the squadron were doing in that theatre of operations or any associated information.
    Much obliged as ever.
    Stewart McLoughlin

Thanks

http://www.rafweb.org/Regiment3.htm

Formed at Castel Benito as A Squadron RAF Regiment in February 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it later served at Mareth, Gabe, Azizia, Benghazi, Khanka, Helwan,, Gaza East and Hadera, disbanding in April 1944.

A

Thanks

Hi Stewart
    If you didn't know already 2930 Sqn was an RAF Regiment Unit formed at Castel Benito , Libya, during 1943 in the Light Anti Aircraft role. It served in N Africa and Palestine and was disbanded in Apr 1944. rafweb.org has these details on it's website and also a link to another site devoted to the RAF Regiment which may have more information
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

You've come up trumps once again gentlemen. I shall follow your pointers.
    I'm presuming at this stage that DOAS will possibly be some form of illness/injury which I will get from the appropriate hospital unit.
    Many thanks once again. Congrats Amrit on joining Dick in the Millennium Club.
    Stewart

Thanks

DOAS means Died On Active Service which from my last year of helping out on line here means that the person died not from enemy action or from a service related accident (KIA or KOAS status). The DOAS is normally I believe for those who died of natural causes or were killed in say an off duty car accident. Perhaps a drowning accident.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis
    I've found that the ORB's are at Kew under AIR 29/133 & 135 so I'll be looking at them also at some stage.
    Stewart