Thread: Accident record cards

samcote Guest

Default Accident record cards

I would like to have all information of these accidents. Thank you. Samuel. samhero@msn.com

Ernest Bernard Dionne
    Crashed at Saint-Octave-de-Métis 1942-06-08

Brian James Duigan
    Crashed at Amqui 1945-06-17

Mosquito KA 316
    Sidney George Witherspoon
    Vladimir Joseph Sopuck
    Crashed at Mont-Joli 1945-07-01

Thanks

Samuel,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)':

Sun 17 Jun 1945
    TRANSPORT COMMAND
    Delivery flight from Canada to Prestwick, Scotland
    45 Group, RAF (Dorval, Quebec)
    Mosquito B.26 KA260 - took off from Crumlin Airport, London, Ontario, at 0833 (0933?), for Goose Bay, Labrador, but en route encountered low cloud, rain, icing, and very unusual atmospheric conditions which made wireless communication almost impossible. At about noon was sighted flying off course by Quebec farmer Wilfred Ross near St Irene, some 35 miles south (SE?) of Mont Joli. In heavy rain, with clouds covering the mountain tops down to 500 feet, the Mosquito circled the farm three times before flying off to the NE. Moments after disappearing from view into a valley it struck trees on the eastern slope of a heavily wooded, 1200-foot high hill, cartwheeled and disintegrated. Both crew died, the pilot being buried at Metis Beach, 8 miles NE of Mt Joli.
    Pilot: Capt Brian James DUIGAN, RAF Transport Command - Age 24.
    Duigan, one of a number of civilian aircrew employed by the Command, had been on ferrying duties since February 1943 and was undertaking his 26th trans-Atlantic delivery flight. He had previously served in the RNZAF and RAF as a short service commission officer.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Smauel,
    detailed description of Sopuck's crash is in my book "RCAF bylo jejich osudem" which is unfortunately only in Czech.

Please let me know what do you want to know and I will translate the appropriate information for you.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

samcote Guest

Default Thank you

Thank you Errol and Pavel.

Merci.

Samuel from Québec