Thread: B105 Lingen/Drope

Thanks

Default B105 Lingen/Drope

Hi,

Just about 65 years old Spitfire of Wing 145 landed at B105 Lingen/Drope (Germany).

A quick search with Google Earth does not show details of an airfield between Lingen - Drope - Bawinkel.

Does anybody know more about this airfield ? Is it in the past a previous Luftwaffe airfield or built by the allied ?

I do not find what I am looking for in 2nd TAF, volume 4.

Many thanks in advance,

Bertrand H

Thanks

read 64 years old

Thanks

I found these two sources in German over at the Luftwaffe Archives & References Records Group:

Fliegerhorstkommandanturen und Flugplätze der deutschen Luftwaffe 1935-1945. Martiello. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück. 2000.

Fliegerhorste und Einsatzhäfen der Luftwaffe. Ries, Dierich. Motorbuch Verlag. Stuttgart.1993.

The first one seems to be the source of choice for the people in that group and they have members who will look up the reference for you.

http://www.lwag.org/forums/index.php

I searched their Airfields & Mapping forum for Drope, which is the closest town most of the B105 listings refer too and found this:

Drope airfield [was] 15 Km [ENE] of Lingen/Ems (52 35 40 N 07 28 25 [E]). It [was] a "Schattenplatz", that means it [was] used as an auxiliary airfield for one or more "Fliegerhorste". Today there´s nothing left to see.

When I plotted this in Google Earth, I see that it is 1.42 miles northwest of Drope off the Bawinkel Road.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 17th April 2009 at 19:28. Reason: additions, corrections
    David

Thanks

Many thanks for your precise and detailed reply.

Bertrand