Thread: S/l A T Maudsley Dfc

Thanks

Default S/l A T Maudsley Dfc

Hello All,

43946 S/L Arthur Terence MAUDSLEY DFC, is buried in Lisbon (St.George) British Churchyard, Portugal. On the CWGC his date of death and unit, are given as, 7-9-1943 and 779 Squadron respectively.

How did Maudsley die, were others involved?

Any information appreciated. Thanks,
    Col.

Apologies for the shonky titling.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th April 2009 at 02:38. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

P/O Arthur D Ashton of 233 Squadron is in same cemetery for that date. Wiki (I know!) mentions Maudsly as a member of this squadron. He was an old Haltonion per google searches.

Maudsley and Ashton are listed Killed in Action in Flight magaizine

And from googling "Maudsly ashton lisbon", check this link:

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4355&st=0&p=22802&#entry22802

Hope it works.
    It concludes, by Chris Goss:

"I think I have solved the mystery. (Beaufighter) T3423 went to 19 MU 7 Mar 42 and then to RNAS Stretton 6 May 43. The F78 then says whilst at Gibraltar, it went on temporary loan to 233 Sqn only to be shot down 7 Sep 43"

Might be worth a message to the CWGC to see if their records mixed up his Squadron. Will you or I contact them?
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th April 2009 at 04:09.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,

Looks like Beaufighter T3423. Checked out LEMB (& TOCH!), thanks for the pointer.

I know you have been in touch with the CWGC previously, so, knowing the ropes, I'll leave it with you.

I'll have to go back and read that little lot again.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th April 2009 at 04:52. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Col,
    Can confirm that he was with 233sqdn at time of death, (from GRO records)
    AlanW.
    Having said that, have just Googled his name and two hits say he was a pilot of a Sea Hurricane of 779sqdn FAA!!
    Last edited by AlanW; 19th April 2009 at 05:21.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that. I have access to a set of GRO RAF Deaths Fiche, but only during Library hours. Must make more use of them.

Confusing ain't it! I intended filing it under - 233 Sqn. Crew/779 Sqn. Aircraft. (Even that is dicey).

All helps,
    Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th April 2009 at 05:52. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Hi,

I reserched this event last year, and was at the spot where both lost their live.
    it hapend in early morning - it was still dark - of 7 september 43, near Cape Sardão (in the southwest coast of Portugal). Arthur Maudsley and Arthur Ashton started the persuit of a Fock Wulf 200 still over the sea. from the research of Chris Goss it was almost certainly the plane F8+AT, from KG 40, with Lt. Erich Stoker at the comands.
    The Condors where very active at the time in this part of Europe. They had some "watcher's" in the coast, and probably also in fishing boats and so on. The most known story in Portugal is that of one sargent from a Lighthouse in Cape St. Vicente (more to the south) that had a radio from where he contacted the German Ambassy in Lisbon. From there they contacted KG40 in Bordeaux.
    The beaufighter was there to protect a convoy that was passing and Stoker was there with two other FW200's to atack it.
    The fight started still at night. One of the persons I talked with was guarding cows with a friend near the lighthouse of Cape Sardão (Cabo Sardão - if somoene wants to look in Google earth), when he heard the sound of the fighting. He came out of a hut and saw over his head the shadows of two airplanes, flyng very low. A big one in the front and a smaller one in the back. He saw the tracer bullet's going from one plane to another and vice-versa.
    He and the frined where both hit by cartridges that fell from the sky. One of those hit a wooden bucket - to give water to the cows - and made a hole in it.
    The aircrafts went on fighting into land in the direction of Longueira a couple of miles away (Northeast of Cape Sardão) where another person saw the rest of the fight. There was already some light so the man was able to see them both coming very low over a couple of hills still firing at each other. Near the houses the "smaller" aircraft just turned and crashed. there was no smoke or anything else. He just crashed. The Fw 200 continued his low course for some time. People around there told me that there whas one information about a crashing near Setubal of a FW200. I have no proof of that and Chris Goss, has no Condors lost on that day.
    The aircraft was scattered trough hundreds of meters and the airmen where so mutilated that still today everybody says that there where three men on board and not two.
    The british authorities arrived - I believe still on the same day - recovered the bodies and transported them to Odemira in Bull cars, where they put them on wooden caskets and trasnported them to Lisbon, to be buried.
    This are just two of the RAF men buried in Portugal. Besides the cemiteri in Lisbon you can also find buriel places in Sagres, Oporto and Lóriga. Luftwaffe men are burried in Aljezur and Moura.
    Stoker claimed a Moskito that day.
    Both RAF men where located in Gibraltar.

Hope this answers the questions.

Best regards
    Carlos Guerreiro

Thanks

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your contribution.

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

And the answer from the CWGC is:

"I have checked our records which all show the squadron as 779.
    However, you may wish to write to the address given below, for details of the service record:
    RAF 2nd WORLD WAR (Records)
    From Family Members and Other Authorised Individuals
    A Certificate of Kinship form needs to be completed and sent to the address below.
    The certificate is available on their website http://www.veterans-uk.com/service_records/raf.html
    RAF Disclosures Section......... etc etc etc"

Might as well not have bothered.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

Once again, a valiant effort on your part. I understand your frustration.

To AlanW & Solrac, your help appreciated, as well.

Col.