Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire VB ER763. Squadron - History Fate?

Thanks

Default Spitfire VB ER763. Squadron - History Fate?

I have a photo of Spitfire VB. ER763, between the serial and roundel is a large 59.

No other marking are visible, could anyone please give the meaning of the number 59 and the history and fate of the aircraft?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Peter.

PS

Have since discovered the 59 relates to the 18th FA Group US Army

Anyone know what the 18th FA Group were up to during the war, and what did the FA stand for?
    Last edited by peter; 19th April 2009 at 14:15.

Thanks

Hi Peter according to RAF serials by Air Britain:
    ER763 127/335/74 OTU swung on landing and overturned, Petah Tiqva,30.1.45.

And "59" will be individual code of the plane as 74 OTU was using only individual numbers on its planes.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Cheers Pavel.

Your help is appreciated

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Hi Peter, I know your post if now over 5 years old but I only joined yesterday after looking for ER763 info. I am happy to say I have 6 photos of 763 when it crashed in Petah Tikva, Israel. My father was stationed all over Israel and Egypt and he kept a war photo album. He died in 2000 and left me his album. I would gladly email you the pictures. However, I can say with some certainty that it does not look like the aircraft overturned as the pictures show no damage to the tail or cockpit. Also it look likes she was repaired and flew again.
    I hope you get this.

Regards Paul King. Fathers name was Irving Issac kremler of 108 squadron in 1942

Thanks

Hi Paul.

I would love to see those photos!

John Engelsted

Thanks

Default Spitfire ER763 End or another beginning?

Hello John,

You shall see them. I will post them soon and put them in the gallery under the heading of "Middle East and Africa". It will be obvious which are mine.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks

Hi John,

Have uploaded the six pictures of ER763. If you look at the prop you will see two blades are broken but not bent back as you would expect on a crash landing. the blades are just broken off. With no damage to the cockpit or tail, I really cant see how the aircraft would have overturned. My guess is that the landing gear folded up on landing and snapped two blades. that might explain why the wings came off. I would like to think than scan 0006 is ER763 repaired. My father does not appear in that picture but the 6 pictures are the only ones on that page so I would expect them all to be of ER763.

There are many more great pictures of aircraft including a spit that was literally pulled out of the Mediterranean on a rope. My father told me he repaired that one and got it flying again. Look out for the picture of a hole in the ground. At the bottom of the hole lays a pilot and a spitfire. He told me that some pilots could not take the strain and when they "cracked" they just flew the plane straight into the ground.....
    It will take me some time to upload the rest so be patient but I will be worth waiting for.

Thank you for your interest.

Paul King (quite proud too)

Thanks

Thank you for letting us see these Pictures.

John

Thanks

I am a new member, but since I came across this thread, I thought I might add some info on Spitfire Vb ER 763.
    Well, according to my data, on 20 April 1944, Spitfire ER 763 while operating with 335 (Hellenic) Squadron, had its right tire blown during taxiing for take off. The pilot (Master Seargeant Sklavos) aborted flight which resulted into aircraft collapsing on its right wing and having its prop blades damaged. According to my data the accident occured while 335 Sqn was operating (under RAF Command) from Bersis base Middle East (not Petah Tiqva,30.1.45 as previously posted).
    My data are based on the book "History of Hellenic Air Force", Volume IV (period April 1941-Nov 1944) (page 242) issued in Greek language by Hellenic Air Force. According to the book, this accident is recorded in 335 Hellenic Squadron R.A.F M.E. Operations Record Book

Thanks

Default ER763 Flies again?

Well Epitimos,

Looks like I was right in that she did not overturn. So I presume she was repaired and probably flew again as in the pictures. I wonder what her final fate was?