Thread: André DEBEC, spitfire pilot, 1942

Thanks

Default André DEBEC, spitfire pilot, 1942

Hello,
    My name is Pascal Debec. I am looking for informations and pictures with regards to one of my ancestors, André Debec born in 1920. He was killed while in GC 4/2 squadron 340 named "Ile de France". I saw the web page on www.cieldegloire.com/004_debec_a.php, and would like to get some more pictures and historical informations. His grave may be in Pihan-les-Guines.
    My email is pascal.debec (at) yahoo.fr...
    Thanks in advance,
    Pascal

Thanks

Pascal,
    Go to the library and ask for the book "Aviateurs de la liberté - Mémorial des Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres" written by Colonel Henry Lafont. Published by Service Historique de l'Armée de l'Air. On page 114 is a photo and his biography.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I scanned the said page of Col Lafont's book. Do hope it arrived at your PM-box.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

hello,

His grave is actually in Pihen-les-Guines, not far from Calais. I've visited this cemetery several times. I can provide you pictures as well if you want.

I've always been interested in the case of André Debec, as he's one of the very few Free French still buried in northern France. Also because I have two possible crash sites for him, and it's difficult to tell which one is correct. That day the R.A.F. lost several Spitfires, hence the difficulty.

Many were moved post-war at the request of their families. I also contributed to the book suggested by Henk.

You can contact me at
    JossLeclercq AT orange.fr (replace AT by the obvious)

Joss