Thread: 160507 P/O M R Sparrow 466 Sqn

Thanks

Default 160507 P/O M R Sparrow 466 Sqn

Hi, I am trying to research this RAF officer - 160507 P/O Michael Robert Sparrow, 466 Sqn who was KIA on 20th jan 1944 during a raid on Berlin. He now rests in Becklingen cemetery, Germany. I would be interested to find out what other operations he took part in and any information concerning the night he was shot down. Any help appreicated, cheers, Rick

Thanks

I popped his service number into the Australian national Archives Record search search engine and these are the details from the Australian airmens casualty files:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

Halifax HX278

RIMMINGTON Keith Edward - (Warrant Officer); Service Number 408539
    BALDWIN W G - (Flight Lieutenant); Service Number 412473
    CLEMO W L - (Flying Officer); Service Number 408796
    SPARROW M R - (Pilot Officer); Service Number 160507
    MORROW J P - (Warrant Officer); Service Number 1251048
    GILCHRIST J T - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number 1213210
    RUSHWORTH F - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number 654193
    FLEMING J McM - (Sergeant); Service Number 1568942

Noe of the file are digitised yet.

Some google returns from the aircraft:
    http://www.halifaxlv827.co.uk/hx278.htm

Since the Squadron is Australian, the Operations Record Book of 466 Sqn is available on the Australian National Archives site also so you can browse through that, backwards from the date of death and you might be able to find what raids he was on and when he was posted in.

[No 466 Squadron] - RAAF - Operations Record Book (Forms 540, 541, 765A) - Policy [32 pages]
    [No 466 Squadron] - RAAF - Operations Record Book (Forms 540, 541, 765A) - Details [0.5cm]

Some one can help you better with find the ORB on the Records Seearch database.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Eddie Fell Guest

It appears that the first Op on which Baldwin (the pilot) was involved was to Duisburg on 12-13/5/43 so a search forward from there as indicated by Dennis should speed things up. Note that the make up of this crew changed (four different Navs, 2 F/E's and Sparrow was only one of the two bomb aimers used) so you will need to read the crew lists carefully so as to see when Sparrow actually flew. I can find no indication that Sparrow flew with any other crew but only an ORB check can confirm

It seems the a/c was shot down by a night fighter and crashed at Weitsche, a village approx 12 miles north of Salzwedel in northern Germany killing all on board

Source: Brave and True by Parker/McManus

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Rick
    According to the 466 squadron O.R.B M R Sparrow is mentioned 19 times from dates 28th April 1943 until being shot down on the 20th/21st January 1944.

I do have a small picture of him on my website mentioned by Dennis on http://www.halifaxlv827.co.uk/hx278.htm

If I can help further then please let me know

cheers John

Thanks

Hi John, thanks for the info, however i have looked at the halifax website and I am pretty sure that MR Sparrow is not in the crew photo, as I have his boxed medals, "B" wing and a small photo of him (mugshot), I believe that the Sgt on the left of the photo is either B/A Sgt RR Last (crew of 12.05.43) or B/A Sgt GS Atkin (crew of 13.07.43) who flew with baldwin's Crew on one or two occasions - I will seek out his name from the ORB. I can't send you a copy of Sparrows photo just yet as it is still in England. I can't prove that the photo I have is actually Sparrow but the medals etc came from the family so I have no reason to doubt it.

Be in touch, Rick
    Last edited by Ravrick; 1st June 2009 at 15:02.

Thanks

My dad is RR Last RAF 466 squadron!

Thanks

Mrjoe
    Your father, R R Last, is listed as a POW & his operations including a crew photo .
    Pages 97,105,111,112 [photo page]

Rick
    M R Sparrow is on page 109

In "Brave & True" second edition [466 & 462 sqdns RAAF] ISBN 987-0-646-47990-3
    Stan Parker & John Mc Manus DFC

I bought my copy because my cousin, Flt/Sgt pilot WA Gunning RAAF, was in 466. KIA July 1943 .

Anne

Thanks

Default Mu uncle JP Morrow was navigator on this final mission

Hi Dennis

It is great to have details of the Halifax crew, thank you.

I do have some pictures of James Patrick Morrow (known as 'Pat') and crew around a Halifax and would be happy to send digital copies if of any use.
    Also have details of the cemetery where he and I imagine all the crew are buried.

His son (who he never saw - Pat and his wife married during his RAF training in Canada) is still alive and would love whatever details are available of his father's short service career.

looking forward to hearing from you.
    Mike Morrow

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    I popped his service number into the Australian national Archives Record search search engine and these are the details from the Australian airmens casualty files:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx

Halifax HX278

RIMMINGTON Keith Edward - (Warrant Officer); Service Number 408539
    BALDWIN W G - (Flight Lieutenant); Service Number 412473
    CLEMO W L - (Flying Officer); Service Number 408796
    SPARROW M R - (Pilot Officer); Service Number 160507
    MORROW J P - (Warrant Officer); Service Number 1251048
    GILCHRIST J T - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number 1213210
    RUSHWORTH F - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number 654193
    FLEMING J McM - (Sergeant); Service Number 1568942

Noe of the file are digitised yet.

Some google returns from the aircraft:
    http://www.halifaxlv827.co.uk/hx278.htm

Since the Squadron is Australian, the Operations Record Book of 466 Sqn is available on the Australian National Archives site also so you can browse through that, backwards from the date of death and you might be able to find what raids he was on and when he was posted in.

[No 466 Squadron] - RAAF - Operations Record Book (Forms 540, 541, 765A) - Policy [32 pages]
    [No 466 Squadron] - RAAF - Operations Record Book (Forms 540, 541, 765A) - Details [0.5cm]

Some one can help you better with find the ORB on the Records Seearch database.

Thanks

Hello,

Since Dennis' post in 2009, the casualty file of 408595 W/O Keith Edward Rimmington, RAAF, has been digitized:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Searc...aspx?B=1059588

Pages 14-16 should be of interest.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Dave

I've downloaded the complete file, put it intodf and for a pwarded it to Pat Morrow's son in Vancouver.

When Pat Morrow had finished his training in Canada he wrote around 20 letters to his mother, my grandmother, between 1942 and 1944. On a request from Pat's widow, Anna, in the 1960s I sent these to to her. Sadly they were destroyed some years later in a house fire. In those days taking copies was not easy and so none were made. I do recall the tenor of the letters was a gradual decline in enthusiasm from being happy with the comradeship in his early letters to his final one which was grim and showed a degree of depression, mentioning empty places at the table after each mission and wondering wen his number would be up. Sadly he didn't have long to wait.

Any more information or images would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
    Mike