Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King's Regulations

Thanks

Default King's Regulations

Hi all,

I am still unsucesfully looking for my own copy of KR so can be anyone so kind and provide me details about "KR ACI 652 (22)".

I have some reports of airmen released from the RAF by the end of 1940 "under KR ACI 652 (22)".

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

I have a 1942 copy rather than a 1940, so I am not sure whether there were any amendments (my 1942 copy has been amended in 1944 with the amendments being glued in where appropriate).

Section 652: Discharge Headings - The discharge of an airman will be affected by one of the following headings. Subject to any special instructions contained in Column 5, the words in italics in Column 1 and these words only will be used for recording the cause of discharge on the certificate of discharge (Form 280). The particulars shown in Column 4 are for the guidance of officers concerned. Reference should be made wherever necessary to the appropriate para. of these regulations &c. and any amendments thereto carefully noted in this column.

Subsection 22: {italics]Services no longer required{italics}. Any other cause not provided for.

Pavel, if you would like the details in the other columns (mainly instructions to the officers filling out the details) then let me know.

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 20th April 2009 at 09:50.

Thanks

Hi Amrit,

many thanks for your reply. That is what I am looking for - they were released for "bad character" so it fits!
    It will be very nice to have all other details of other colums for Subsection 22.
    If it is simpler for you just drop me a digital photo of the appropriate paragraph (email address in my profile) and I will rewrite it into text myself.

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel

email sent

A

Thanks

Many thanks Amrit!

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel/Amrit, Hi,
    If I may, I would like to step back a bit from "these airmen (so was there more than one?) released under KR ACI 652 (22)". This occurred at the end of 1940 - at the beginning of WW2 and at a point in time when although the major threat of invasion had receded, it could not entirely be ruled out. And yet here we have the RAF getting rid of airmen "services no longer required"!!!!
    If this airman (or these airmen) already had a history of "bad character" then to release them from RAF service would seem to be an easy way out of the RAF - and others might copy them! The normal progression for "bad characters" was a series of Charges (often under the dreaded Section 40) which resulted in Loss of Seniority, Loss of Pay, and even a few days in the RAF Station Guard Room Cells. Further than that would (possibly) come a Court Martial. This could hand out a fairly long period of Detention in a Military Prison where conditions and discipline were fairly grim (by all accounts, although I've never been in one!!). These Military Detention Centres were known colloquially as "Glass Houses" - I've never know why! The one's at Shepton Mallet and Colchester certainly had an unenviable reputation!
    My question is: if he was of bad character, and his services had been dispensed with by the RAF under the above Regulation, where did he go when he walked out of the gate of RAF Wherever, and what did he do? Now I know that it was possible, even in wartime, to "disappear" into the murky underworld of black market dealings, etc, such that The Authorities effectively lost track of you. Was this just an isolated occurrence?, or was there a lot of it?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Peter

The term Glass House was originally applied to the Army Detention Centre at Aldershot because it had a glazed over roof. The term was them widely adopted for other military prisons.
    The Aldershot one was burnt down by its inmates in 1946 and in the 70's part of the walls were still there - I don't know about now

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie, Sir,
    I am your servant.
    Yet another piece of arcane RAF/military history to surface on this Forum. Absolutely brilliant! Rarely a day goes by without some nugget of info comes to the top of the brew!! Keep it up!
    Tks
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter,

1) they were Czechoslovaks so they were posted to Czechoslovak Army, some of them later served with the FFL and FAFL but only since 1943 so they quiddle the worse years in inactivity with the army in the UK.
    2) they refused to fly bombers missions on Wellingtons, in most cases because they were:
    a) fighter pilots posted to bomber units and their posting to fighter unit was refused
    b) civil/sport pilots, in France Czech authorities promised them a pilot training but in the UK they were posted to bomber sq as NAVs, WOPs or AGs for lack of these trades.
    3) their release was asked by the squadron CO as they have bad influence on squadron moral and he was worried that there can be more and more kickers...

Hope this explain this very complicated question a little bit.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,
    Now understand what your Czech "naughty boys" were up to/against! Must have been difficult when The Rules were changing almost by the day and you - as an individual - had little say in how they changed.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies