Thread: Sgt M B Wright killed 22/09/1946

Thanks

Default Sgt M B Wright killed 22/09/1946

I was wondering if anybody might eb able to tell me more about the death of
    Sgt Matthew Booth Wright who died on the 22/09/1946. I think he may have been
    killed in a crash involving a Miosquito, but I am not sure.

The CWGC have the following:
    Son of Matthew W. Wright and Elizabeth Wright, of West Hartlepool; husband of Florence Grace Wright, of West Hartlepool.

and at 40 he was a bit of an older airman.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Thanks

His death is registered in the West Hartlepool District so I'd be leaning towards a Died On Active Service death rather than a crash or service related incident but then I'm normally wrong with these. Also, he is the only RAF man turned up fo rthat date on CWGC not including Commonwalth airmen.

What makes you to suggest a Mosquito involved?

I could not get a Mosquito for that date either on this site:
    http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_DH98%20prodn%20list.txt
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Not listed in Cummings' Final Landings - infact, no crashes for that date. Have skimmed back a few days incase he died of injuries but nothing found

A

Thanks

Thank you for the replies to this. His medals are being offered for sale, and the seller states "He died 22.09.1946 as a result of burns when bailing out of burning aircraft (Mosquito ?). Pieces of the burnt parachute in a black Japan box are included"

I couldn't find anything relating to a crash near this date so thought I would ask the forum to see if anybody else could come up with anything.

Seems a bit odd!

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie,

I had a look through De Havilland Mosquito crash log by David J Smith and I can't see anything that ties in with the dates/details you've provided.......I don't know how good the info in these crash log books are though so it could have been one that was missed.

Even looking back several months on the assumption that the man in question was injured and later died from injuries, I don't see anything that stands out as a possible.

Maybe there was something about his death in local Hartlepool newspapers of the time - not sure where you would look for those but someone might have an idea.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Johnnie,

Suggest you email the Hartlepool Central Library at infodesk@hartlepool.gov.uk asking if it holds archived local newspapers for, say, 23.09.46 to 15.10.46. Explain you are seeking an obituary for, or report relating to the death of your man. There might be a nominal charge, but sometimes the response is free.

Brian