Thread: Hurricane II BE421?

Thanks

Default Hurricane II BE421?

Hi all

I just wondered about the significance (if there is any, of course) of this particular Hurricane II, seeing as Hendon had their FSM marked up as BE421 XP-G of 174 Sqn, and Corgi do a 1/72 model of it in the same markings?

As an aside, the F K Mason book 'Hawker Hurricane - An Illustrated History' has it listed as a 'Mark IIE (sic)', so did it had the same 'universal wing' as the Mk. IV? I've read that the IIE prototype didn't fly until March 1943, and BE421 was shot down in June 1942...so which version of Hurricane II is it??

Cheers

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon, I have no idea when MkIIE was introduced into service but according to Air Britain it was M.IIE and went missing on sweep on 2. 6. 42

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

The early Hurricane Mk.IIB fighter-bombers as delivered to 607 Sq were referred to as Mk.IIE in Mason's book, but not in the current Air Britain listings. Apparently it was referred to as a "universal" wing because it could carry bombs or jettisonable tanks, but this is not the same "universal" wing as the Mk.IV. References appear somewhat confused, and I don't know where the term originally comes from. The later use of the Mk.IIE to refer to the prototype Mk.IV suggests that the earlier use was unofficial.

The aircraft was the personal aircraft (or at least regarded as such) of J W Brookes, and was the scheme chosen for the mock-up on display at the RAF Museum: presumably Corgi etc got it from there. Initially the aircraft was AF.G of 607 Sq, but when 607 was transferred to India, its aircraft and some pilots were used to form 174 Sq.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies Pavel and Graham (nice to meet you over here Graham, as well as at Britmodeller!).

I'd sort of guessed that the use of the designation IIE was some sort of 'semi-official' usage, but I was a little confused by the dates to say the least, so thanks for clearing that up Graham.

My interest in BE421 is it's use by 607 Sqn, and I have a photo (sadly not too clear, hence my questions) of it bombed up at Manston wearing the codes AF-G - whilst with 607, BE421 was flown by Paddy Stephenson. I just wanted to clear up whether it was indeed a IIB, so I can get my 1/48 Hasegawa one out!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I do have some clearer photos of 607 Hurribombers, if they help - swop for yours?

Don't forget they only had ten guns, for the bombrack covers the exit hole for one - as you will see on the model. The bombrack needs reshaping to more of a canoe shape, rather than the flat-bottomed barge it appears.