Thread: First and Last Coastal Command Loss

Andrew D Bird Guest

Default First and Last Coastal Command Loss

Hi, I do have Ross's book but due to relatives being over for the festive season, its in storage.

I therefore would like to ask if anyone could tell me which crew/aircraft was the first to be lost/shot down and which for the last Coastal Command aircraft/crew to be lost/shot down.

Many Thanks

Andrew Bird

Thanks

Hi Andrew
    Ross records the 1st Coastal loss as 48 Sqn Anson I K8704OY-E, which was ditched close to Thorney Is on 4/9/39 having lost an engine on return from a patrol, the crew were:-
    Sgt R E Williams
    Sgt F Burton
    LAC J Meek
    AC D Hider ,all of whom were rescued
    The first that he records as being actually shot down was 206 Sqn Anson I , K6183,VX-B that attacked a German He115 off the Friesian Is on 5/9/39 and was shot down by return fire. The crew were
    P/O L H Edwards POW
    Sgt A O Heslop KIA
    AC1 G Sheffield KIA
    LAC J Quilter KIA
    These come from Ross's Coastal Command Losses Vol 1. He hasn't published the last losses yet!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

New Zealander 'Laurie' Edwards was, incidentally, the first British officer to be made PoW during WWII. (Sgt G F Booth and AC1 L J Slattery, both of 107 Sqn of Bomber Command, were the first British personnel to be made PoW, one day prior to Edwards.)

Errol