Thread: Sgt Harry Cowen - Pilot - 38 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt Harry Cowen - Pilot - 38 Squadron

Hello,

Celine Houser is seeking all information about his grandfather Harry Cowen.
    Harry is a former RAF Sergeant and Celine do believes that Harry was a Lancaster pilot and flew 30+ bombing missions over Germany. He would have been in 38 Squadron.
    Harry last name was often misspelled with an “a” rather than an e.
    Unfortunately, Celine's grandfather is experiencing rapidly deteriorating health and Celine would like to obtain information from his service record for his eulogy. Harry has always been very reluctant to discuss his service record with his immediate family and therefore they have nothing with which to search.
    I thank you in advance for all your help.

Bruno
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

I don't have anything relating to this airman but I can add that No.38 Squadron spent most of the war years in North Africa with Wellingtons. Mostly on maritime work with some bombing of land targets.

My own grandfather served with this unit as a WO/AG during 1943, my only notes from the ORB relate to entries where he was named.

The best place to start would be the ORB simply scanning through the F-541 for his name.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Bruno,
    38 Squadron was part of 205 Group and along with 37,70 (flying Wellintons) and 216 (Flying Bristols) Squadrons took a major role in wiping out the Italian Airforce in December 1940. As already mentioned 38 Squadron was mainly involved in the Middle East conflict and at some part of 1945 were based in Falconara in Italy. This information is from a publication of the Bomber Command News a special publication from 1995.
    I hope this gives you a good place to start with your quest.
    Good luck and Best wishes,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Bruno, I served on 38 squadron. I flew with an all Australian crew on the RAAF 458 Sqdn based at Foggia. When this squadron was transferred to Gibraltar at the end of 1944 we were one of three Australian crews left to join 38.

Both 458 and 38 flew MK X1V Leighlight Wellingtons and were Coastal Command.

If Sgt. Harry Cowen bombed Germany it would have been very early in the war when the squadron was Bomber Command.

38 Sqdn moved to Falconara a couple of months before Germany surrendered. I cannot help with any tracing of your friend's grandfather but I'm sure some of the whizzes on this forum will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Jack Powers; 21st April 2009 at 22:53.

Thanks

I thank you all very much.

Bruno
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>