Thread: LAC WWII KIA database

Thanks

Default LAC WWII KIA database

After seeing it mentioned in another post I thought I would let those who don't know already about Library and Archives Canada's WWII KIA database.

On my last visit home in February of 2008 the staff here told me it would be online by my next visit which indeed it is.

After having just spent a month in the LAC I can say it made ordering up files and obtaining the dates of birth of those Canadian KIAs very easy to do.

Here's the URL:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-100.01-e.php

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave, I too found this one just before I sent in my mammoth order for the files on my Malvern fellows. What is really helpful is that it serves up the reference and volume nos. of the file, which makes it easier for them to search and pull for copying. It actually requests these on their order form and I was trying to be good seeing as I sent in an order for quite a number of people.
    David

Thanks

Default Lac

Hi David,

No matter how efficient the new ordering system is it sadly cannot account for human error. Given the passage of time and the large number of files the LAC are responsible for do not be surprised should some of your people come back with just attestation papers and their record of training.

This in no way points fingers at the staff there now. These people went above and beyond to help me and I am extremely grateful to them.

Some of the files I looked at were missing the all important casualty portion. This contains the chronology of all post war searches by the MREU/MRES etc. Very interesting stuff with things like photos of wrecked aircraft and items found by civilians post war.

Also, it occurs to me that this thread will disappear given the vast number of postings daily. Can Ross or Chris perhaps move this over to the Research area of this forum?

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 22nd April 2009 at 14:23.

Thanks

Dave, are you saying the files you have looked at on site were missing those things or just the files you requested by mail, in which staff use some discretion in what they send for copying?
    David

Thanks

Default RCAF Service Files.

David. Not all files contain an MREU report. Some contain very little and some nothing about the death or details of where the crash took place. I have records of about 200 KIA's. 10 percent give nothing about the circumstances of the death.
    Richard

Thanks

Thanks Richard. I hope one day to get to Ottawa with about a week of spare time to look at many files (yeah, dream on says the Mrs.). But for now, the genie pkgs will have to suffice and I will trust to the good people at L&AC to do the best they can.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 22nd April 2009 at 21:06. Reason: spelling
    David

Thanks

Default Lac

David. I guess it is what you are willing to pay, I have researcher do most of mine. I am looking for crash places and witness reports, and sometimes there is absolutely nothing in the file. I was there last week and shot 1300 photos of other info I needed.

Thanks

Hi David and Richard,

To answer you, David, I meant files I viewed on site.

The casualty portions of two files in particular were at one time in the files. I know this because correspondence on the files from the LAC to a British researcher in the mid 90s allude to them. I will follow up on that when I get home.

And, as Richard says, in some cases there were no MREU reports. In other cases where we would expect there to be no reports ie. losses over water, there were very richly detailed reports. I also learned it pays to go through the "estates" portion of each file as some very good information pertaining to the crash was there, whether by accident or design.

Like Tom Hanks says in "Forrest Gump" : "Service files are like a box of chocolates....."

Regards,

Dave