Thread: No. 130 Squadron

samcote Guest

Default No. 130 Squadron

Hi,

I would like to have the names of the pilots killed, missing and injured of the No. 130 Squadron at Mont-Joli ?

Casualties: Operational: 1 aircraft, 1 pilot killed Non-Operational: 5 aircraft, 5 pilots killed, 1 missing, 1 injured

I would like to have the story of these crashed.

Thank you in advance.

Samuel Côté
    samhero@msn.com

Thanks

Known losses of 130 (F) Squadron RCAF, from various sources:

8/Jun/42: Harvard IIB 3285 destroyed in crash while with No. 130 (F) Squadron at Mont-Joli, PQ.

6/Jul/42: 4 Kittyhawk of 130 Sqn took off from Mont-Joli to take part in the chase of U-132 that just sank three ships in the Saint-Laurent Gulf. The Sqn Ldr Joseph Armand Jacques Chevrier didn't come back from this mission and is commemorated on Ottawa Memorial.

9/Jul/42: Kittyhawk I 1505 (ex RAF-serial AK915) crashed at sea. Probably with No. 130 (F) Squadron in Quebec at time of crash. May have carried RAF serial until crash.
    (My guess is that this loss is the same as the Chevrier one above)

15/Apr/43: Kittyhawk I 1504 (ex RAF-serial AK914) while serving with No. 130 (F) Squadron at RCAF Station Sagueny, PQ

2/Jun/43: Harvard IIB 3258 destroyed in crash while with No. 130 (F) Squadron, Eastern Air Command.

samcote Guest

Default Thank you

Thank you Laurent

Sam

Thanks

I think you will find that the two Kittyhawks were 1055 (ex AK915) and 1054 (ex AK914). I can confirm that S/L Chevrier was in 1055. He ditched in the Gulf after running out of fuel while returning to base after the U-boat search. I don't think his body was ever found. 130 Squadron was still officially in training at this time, and would not be declared operational until several days later. That is from memory and my web pages, I'm on the road and away from my main sources right now.

For both 1054 and 1055 I can't confirm that the RCAF serials had actually been marked before their loss. Anybody have any information on this?

By the way, 1054 crashed while 130 Squadron was at RCAF Station Sagueny (today CFB Bagotville), not at Mont Joli. There were several minor 130 Squadron Hurricane crashes at Sagueny/Bagotville as well, if you are interested in those.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 23rd April 2009 at 22:42. Reason: added last para

Thanks

Samuel,
    Harvard 3285, 130 Squadron, 8th June 1942.
    Took-off Mont-Joli 1215 hrs, R69389 Sgt W.D. Peacock was to practice instrument flying under the hood and R96741 Sgt E.B. Dionne was to act as safety pilot. At 1320 hrs the Harvard flew into a tree-covered ridge about 500' higher than the surrounding terrain near Saint-Octave-de-Metis QC. Sgt Dionne was killed and Sgt Peacock seriously injures. The Harvard was in level flight at cruising speed. Cause obscure.
    (Peacock was to be killed in England in 1944).
    Ian

samcote Guest

Thank you Bill and Ian

Samuel