Thread: Neill Michael Daunt OBE

Thanks

Default Neill Michael Daunt OBE

Hello everyone,
    Neill Michael Daunt OBE made a „perfect“ Typhoon belly landing (I do not know the date) due to the seized engine. The propeller bent back to form skis upon which the aircraft hurtled towards a high bank. Miraculously the Typhoon swerved to pass between two trees which neatly removed the wings and decelerated the fuselage so it coasted into a position by a road which gave easy access to the salvage crew.
    Was the aircraft written off or did it reincarnate? Could it be R8198?
    Regards,
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir
    From Air Britain Serials P1000-R9999, R8198 was struck off charge on 27.6.43 although the reason is not given.The book seems to show that it was the first Typhoon IA to be built and was only in the hands of the Makers and DeHavilland and presumably was always a test a/c. Bear in mind that I may be reading more into what is in the serial list than I should and ,of course, it is not proof that it was involved in the accident that you describe. It was the first in a batch of 245 Ia's and Ib's that were delivered between March and November 1942
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 23rd April 2009 at 20:57.

Thanks

Default Neill Michael Daunt OBE

Hi Dick,
    Thank you very much. The serial R8198 I guess only. It is based on the remark: engine failed 14-3-42. It would be another serial.
    Regards,
    Mojmir

Thanks

'UK Flight Testing Accidents 1940-1971' records NM Daunt in Typhoon R7625 crashing in the Gloucester area on 27/3/42 following engine failure; "and passed between two trees which removed the wings". A/c was on charge to the Gloster Aeroplane Co.

HTH

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Just to round this one off - R7625 was written off as a result of the crash landing. R8198 must have been repaired after its engine failure as it was allocated to De Havilland in April 1943. It was declared Cat E at DH on 27 June 43. Reasons not known but this was a time when all earlier Typhoons were being withdrawn and replaced by new production aircraft.

R8198 was the first production Typhoon (a IA) built by Hawker. After the two prototypes they only built a batch of 25 aircraft - and this was the first (first flight 26 Nov 41). All other Typhoons were built by Gloster; their first production aircraft (R7576, a IA) flew on 27 May 41.

Thanks

Thank you very much to all of you for the replies. At the moment I am busy but I would like to return to the R7625 in Sunday evening.
    Regards,
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi,
    In the ancient Profile 81 (1961) by F.K. Mason there is the photo of a belly landed Typhoon with the legend:
    “One of many Typhoon accident, this Mark IA of No.56 (Fighter) Squadron suffered engine failure and undershot the runway at Matlaske, Norfolk, in attempting a force landing (Photo: Ministry of Defence, Neg. No. 567G (Duxford)).“

The identical photo is used in the later title of the same author with another description:
    “R7625, a Typhoon IA, suffered engine failure on its landing approach to Duxford on its delivery flight in December 1942. It was little damaged and joined No.266 Sqn about three month later“ (Photo Author´s Collection)

In the Appendix C of the book there is note:
    “R7625 MkIA. Crashed during delivery to No. 266 Sqn., 12-41; repaired and delivered to No. 266 Sqn., Duxford, 3-42, “UO-C“. “
    The December 1941 is more accurate than December 1942...

I would like to know:
    What Typhoon is in the picture? Does another image picture (or pictures) exist from the same film roll, where is the serial recognizable?

What correct serial had the Typhoon UO-C?

Regards,
    Mojmir

Thanks

Default Duxford Typhoon f/l photo

I've wondered about that one too, Mojmir. There is no mention of 266 Sqn on R7625's Form 78 movement card. It is possible it was allocated to 266 as R7623/4/6/7 all were; however 266 did not begin receiving Typhoons until January 1942. And the photo obviously does not show Daunt's Typhoon crash in R7625 as the airframe is intact.

I have to say I would not waste too much time trying to justify the identification of R7625 with the photo, as I have found that Mr Mason did not let facts (or lack of them) get in the way of a good caption for several of the photos in his Typhoon and Tempest book. The same applies to the individual 'histories' in the back of the book.

I don't have an identification for UO-C. The first 'C' on 266 that I have note of is R7696, which is recorded on the F.78 as with the unit by 12 April 42 - the month when their codes were changed from UO to ZH. There may well have been an earlier C.
    CT

Thanks

Thank you very much, Chris. I believe that a lot of forgotten photos have not come to light yet...
    Regards,
    Mojmir