Thread: Blenheim N6207, ultimate fate.

Thanks

Default Blenheim N6207, ultimate fate.

Hallo all,

I was looking at the entries for this 110 Squadron RAF Blenheim in Peter Cornwell's The Battle of France, Then and Now and The Bristol Blenheim (2nd edition) by Graham Warner. Both agree it was damaged on 22 May 1940 over France and belly-landed back at its base of Wattisham in England. It was classed as 'repairable' in the former but the final status was not made clear in the latter.

The Air-Britain RAF Aircraft L1000-N9999 Register differs in stating it crashed on landing at Wattisham on 3 October 1939. I presume this is incorrect for a final fate but what interests me here is that the Air-Britain work lists 110 Squadron as the only unit to use this Blenheim. My question is was it written off after the 22 May 1940 landing ?

I do not have the Form 78 for N6207, but I have checked all Blenheim IV fates in Warner's book, RAF Coastal Command Losses, Volume 1 and RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean, Volume 1. I could find no mention of N6207 in any of these.

However Bill Chorley's RAF Bomber Command Losses 1939-1940 lists it as crash-landing on return from a raid and therefore by its very presence in the book clearly indicates that it was subsequently written off.

Can anyone please confirm the final fate ? Maybe another write-off from the Battle of France ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

No answer, just reporting a negative return.

I have a copy of the microfilm for Blenheim, Form 1180, for 1940.

No Form 1180 have been filed for the 22 May 1940 for any Blenheim accident, and nothing for this particular aircraft on 21st or 23rd.

If a belly landing took place in the UK I would usually expect to see a Form 1180 even for one considered to be repairable unless the card had gone missing before microfilming.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Blenheim N6207, ultimate fate.

Hi Martin

I following is shown on my microfilm copy of the A.M. Form 78. Movement card for Blenheim, N6207.

Write of or Strike details SOC 22/5/1940, Extent of Damage, F.B.O. Confirmed Date. 5.7.1940, Authority 43/G/10002/420/E.

It as you can see was SOC after the action of the 22/5/1940.

Pel Temple

Thanks

Question for Ross,

What kind of document is Form 1180 please - would that be the accident report form?

If it is, would you mind checking if you have any info on Blenheim T2254 - she suffered a Cat "B" accident on 04.12.1940 whilst on charge of 18 Sqdn (info fm Aircraft Movement Card).

On 16.08.1941, whilst with 13 Sqn this aircraft again had a flying accident, FA(AC) on movement card.

Then on 09.03.42 a third accident (13 Sqdn) but I have the details of that as the aircraft's observer describes the incident in a letter I have.

Many thanks in advance,

Walter

Thanks

Hallo and thanks to all,

Ross,
    Thanks for checking. I find Form 1180s - or rather their existance for any particular incident - to be pot luck. I have ordered about 100 in the last 5 years or so but found that a surprisingly high percentage (30% ?) do not have reports which survive to this day.

Pel,
    Brilliant, just what I was looking for ! I had not sufficiently considered the Form 78s as I assumed, wrongly, that any such information would have been published already.

Walter,
    The Form 1180 is indeed an accident report, usually a double-sided card. They are now held in the RAF Museum at Hendon and can be ordered for a small fee each. But beware that not every accident has a report.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin, thanks for confirming that Form 1180 is indeed the accident report card.

The RAFM however does not hold a copy of the card relating to Blenheim T2254 so I was hoping Ross might have something on that microfilm copy...

Thanks again,

Walter