Thread: Intruder operations on the 25 of February 1944

Thanks

Default Intruder operations on the 25 of February 1944

Hello,

I’m looking after some information about the intruders operations done by the RAF on the 25 of February 1944.
    According to the information I’ve received from a friend:
    10 Mosquitos were sent to Augstburg, 22 to airfields in Holland, 15 to 4 cities North of Augstburg. Which squadrons were involved in those operations? I’m interested in the intruder ops to the airfields in Holland and the cities (area) to the North of Augustburg. Were there any targets attacked in Belgium?
    Regards,

Alex

Thanks

1 Me 110 destroyed SW of Manheim by F/Lt R G Woodman and F/O P Kemmis in Mosquito II DZ 254 of 169 Squadron.

Bill

Thanks

RAF History Bomber Command for the night 25/26 Feb 1944

25/26 February 1944

594 aircraft - 461 Lancasters, 123 Halifaxes, 10 Mosquitos - on the first large raid to Augsburg. The various diversions and the splitting of the main bomber force into 2 waves again reduced casualties still further. 21 aircraft - 16 Lancasters, 5 Halifaxes - lost, 3.6 per cent of the force; at least 4 of these casualties were due to collision.

The bombing at Augsburg was outstandingly successful in clear weather conditions and against this 'virgin' target with only weak flak defences. The Pathfinder ground-marking was accurate and the raid became controversial because of the effects of its outstanding accuracy. The beautiful old centre of Augsburg was completely destroyed by high explosive and fire, with much less than the usual spread of bombing to the more modern outer areas, where some industry was located. There were 246 large or medium fires and 820 small ones; the temperature was so cold (minus 18" Celsius) that the River Lech was frozen over and many of the water hoses also froze. The Germans publicized it as an extreme example of 'terror bombing'.

131 aircraft minelaying in Kiel Bay, 22 Mosquitos to airfields in Holland, 15 Mosquitos on diversionary raids to 4 towns to the north of the Augsburg routes, 5 RCM sorties, 10 Serrate patrols. 3 Halifaxes and 1 Stirling lost from the minelaying operation.

Total effort for the night: 777 sorties, 25 aircraft (3.2 per cent) lost.
    Last edited by Wimpy; 24th April 2009 at 21:03.
    An American airman, was told at Briefing to ‘Go in at 30,000 feet and keep out of the flak.”
    “If I go in a 20,000 feet, what will happen?’ asked the airman.
    “You’ll probably be mentioned in despatches”, answered the officer.
    “If I go in at 10,000 feet ?“ he asked.
    “In that case you will probably get the Congress Medal”, he was told.
    "And if I go in at 5,000 feet?’ he inquired excitedly.
    “Don’t be a fool, man”, replied his superior, “you’ll go and bump into the R.A.F. at that height.”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex260966 View Post
    Hello,

I’m looking after some information about the intruders operations done by the RAF on the 25 of February 1944.
    According to the information I’ve received from a friend:
    10 Mosquitos were sent to Augstburg, 22 to airfields in Holland, 15 to 4 cities North of Augstburg. Which squadrons were involved in those operations? I’m interested in the intruder ops to the airfields in Holland and the cities (area) to the North of Augustburg. Were there any targets attacked in Belgium?
    Regards,

Alex
    As the other poster has noted, you've got Bomber Command Mosquitos there. Most Intruder sorties were still by Fighter Command units at that point.

Do you mean 25/26 Feb or 24/25? If the latter, there was a 605 Sqn. claim for an enemy aircraft damaged at Brussels. Is that the one you're after? If so, do you have any info from the German side?

Thanks

Also found this re: a 487 Squadron Mosquito loss in Belgium on 24/25 February 1944:

"The Mosquito HX949/EG-A of F/O Barbet (RCAF) and F/O Mitchell (RAF) crashed at Moustier-sur-Sambre at about 21.00 h and destroyed 7 houses in this city. One civilian occupant was killed and 5 wounded. (Régis Decobeck on this forum)."

Crew were F/O E H Barbet (RCAF) and F/O P R Mitchell, buried in Heverlee War Cemetery.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you very much for the information about the missions.

Sorry Mhuxt, I wasn't specific enough. I meant the missions from the evening/night 25 to 26 of February 1944 (especially between 20.00 Hrs and 24.00 Hrs). I'm trying to find out if there were any ground targets in Belgium attacked by the intruders during that evening/night. A bomb was dropped on the 25 of February 1944 between 20.00 Hrs and 21.00 Hrs near an important marshalling yard which is situated in the area of Saint-Trond(Belgium). I've talked with different witnesses and they told me it was a German attack of a Stuka!!! Extra info: Saint-Trond airfield was bombed by the USAF in the morning of the 25 of February (+/- 10.30 Hrs) so could the RAF have sent another intruder ops (like the evening before with Mosquito HX949) to the area of Saint-Trond after the bombing? On the evening (between 20.31 Hrs and 20.45 Hrs) of the 25 of February only 5 nightfighters from Saint-Trond airfield took off to intercept a bomber stream. The landing strip was illiminated around that time so this was the best moment for an intruder to attack but the intruder perhaps had no chance to do it and perhaps choosed an secundary target, like a marshalling yard, for example?

I've no German casualty for the claim of the 605 sqn.

The Ops target for the 487 Sqn Mosquito HX949 was Saint-Trond airfield on the 24/25 of February 1944. I've a copy of the page of the ORB.

Greetings from Belgium,

Alexander

Thanks

Thanks Alexander.

Thanks

Just a thought ......... if the USAAF bombed on the 25th Feb and this one bomb exploded on the night of the 25/26 Feb, might it have been a delayed action fuse on an American bomb?
    An American airman, was told at Briefing to ‘Go in at 30,000 feet and keep out of the flak.”
    “If I go in a 20,000 feet, what will happen?’ asked the airman.
    “You’ll probably be mentioned in despatches”, answered the officer.
    “If I go in at 10,000 feet ?“ he asked.
    “In that case you will probably get the Congress Medal”, he was told.
    "And if I go in at 5,000 feet?’ he inquired excitedly.
    “Don’t be a fool, man”, replied his superior, “you’ll go and bump into the R.A.F. at that height.”

Thanks

Hello Wimpy,

No, this isn't possible...I've also investigated that but there was no damage before.
    Regards,

Alexander