Thread: Sgt L E C BLAKE - 24 Sqn - 24-11-40

Thanks

Default Sgt L E C BLAKE - 24 Sqn - 24-11-40

Hello

What happened to 581080 Sgt (Obs.) Leonard Ernest Charles BLAKE?

He is listed on the CWGC as dying on 24-11-1940, and is buried at (Paddington) Mill Hill Cemetery (Sec. C. Grave 5). The Times (Tuesday, Dec.10, 1940), mentions that he - 'Died of Wounds or Injuries received on Active Service'.

Was he connected with the loss of Hertfordshire R2510 on 23-10-1940?

I have seen the earlier threads on this subject, and know of the entry in 'Though without Anger', but the question still remains.

Col.

Thanks

Leonard E C Blake is registered in Barnet district, Hertfordshire age 22.

Some of the other men from the previous threads on this aircraft are registered in:
    Blount, Rudling, Ledlie all in Hendon District, Middlesex.

I can't get my computer to load google maps so I can't see if their close.

Mill Hill is between the two of them per my limited UK geography command. Looks liek one or more Hospitals located at or around Barnet?
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 24th April 2009 at 12:10.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for the registrations of the others. As I suspected, it appears as if Blake was hospitalized in the vicinity of the accident, and died there.

I could find no corresponding 24 Sqn. incident/accident on 24-11-40 that matched Blake's death. It set the bells ringing.

Still need verification.

Appreciate your help,
    Col.

Thanks

Hi Col
    Dennis makes a valid point about people being dispersed to hospitals after an accident. Barnet is N of Hendon and close enough to be used for treatment of casualties,depending on where the accident occurred. The registration districts of Barnet and Hendon are adjacent to each other and over the years parishes have been swapped between them. Hendon was the home base of 24 Sqn for much of it's wartime life as it was used as a Diplomatic and VIP communication Sqn and a base in N London out of the centre but not too far was ideal. London being the physically large place it is it was administered in part by the adjacent County Councils, until the creation of the Greater London Council after WW2, hence Hendon was Middlesex and Barnet was Hertfordshire.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hello Dick,

The accident occurred at Mill Hill, Herts. I have just chased up A V-M Blount's biography on www.rafweb.org It states - '... His aircraft crashed on the edge of the airfield (Hendon) killing all but one on board. The survivor was not Charles Blount.'

Starting to look like Blake was the survivor, albeit temporarily.

Thanks,
    Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th April 2009 at 14:37. Reason: minor correction