Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flt. Lt. Jack Hubert Stigner (89334)

Thanks

Default Flt. Lt. Jack Hubert Stigner (89334)

I have recently started to research my Dad’s wartime experiences. The effect of these were to take their toll, and he died in 1959 when I was coming to my 4th birthday. I and my brothers all live abroad; one in the US, one in New Zealand, and me taking the middle piggy slot in Turkey. And as I have experienced, and you have discussed; that damn postal order thing has made it a long process (still waiting) for Jack’s service history to arrive with my nephew in Blighty!

Jack Hubert Stigner (89334) served with No. 53 Squadron from approx. April/May 1941 until about June/July 1943.

My mum always said that he had been involved in a couple of incidents, one she thought at the time when the squadron swapped to Hudsons from the Blenheim. Photos of him show that he had scarring to his face from one such.

I came across some notes taken on 31 Dec. 1943 by another pilot. These relate to him meeting Jack (whowas based at Headquarters Western Approuches in Liverpool at the time) and learning the circumstances of his elder brother’s death while serving with 53. And there is a paragraph that reads:

“…He (JHS) is very bored, but they will not let him go back onto flying as he has burst his eardrums. The Blenheim in which he was flying was hit by flak just (illegible word) at night and he went into a spin and only recovered after a great deal of height had been lost.”

Jack was flying Hudsons in Trinidad, flew one back to the UK at the start of 1943, so he must have had this incident after his rest period. Can anyone out there help me with any details please (unit, aircraft number, hospital etc.).

Thanks

hello,

I can only recommend that you get a copy of "United in effort - the story of No. 53 Squadron Royal Air Force 1916-1976", by Jock MANSON, published by Air-Britain in 1997, ISBN 0 85130 260 2.

He's in a group picture, page 122, in front of a Hudson, at Limavady in January 1942.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Thanks for that. I am in regular contact with Jock, who has sent me so much information to date (his book is at the minute struggling with snail, rail and goodness knows what to get to me). No, the period is for Jack's time immediately after his rest period taken in mid 43. No.53 Squadron went from Hudsons to a short spell with Whitley's (something the pilots and crews weren't too taken with), and then in May 43 converted to Liberators ... do you see my problem? There shouldn't be a Blenheim in his career at this juncture.

All the very best to you, and others in their search for trurh!

Stiggy

Thanks

From the LG:
    Air Ministry,
    21st January, 1941.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    GENERAL DUTES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are granted commissions for the duration of hostilities: —
    As Pilot Officers on probation.
    Leading Aircraftmen.
    14th Dec. 1940.
    (Seniority 2$th Nov. 1940.)
    906269 Jack Hubert STIGNER (89334).

Air Ministry.
    23rd Decem ber, 1941.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Plt. Offs. (prob.) to be confirmed in their, appts. and to Flg. Offs. (war subs.):—
    14th Dec. 1941.
    (Seny. 24th Nov. 1941.)
    J. H. STIGNER (89334).

Air Ministry, 16th April, 1943.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE. VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Flg. Offs. to be Flt. Lts. (war subs.):—
    14th Dec. 1942.
    J. H. STIGNER (89334). (Seny. 24th Nov. 1942)

Air Ministry, 26th June, 1945.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Transfer between branches.
    The undermtd., to the Admin, and Spec. Duties Br.: —
    Flts. Lts.: —
    8th June 1945.
    J. H. STIGNER (89334).

Air Ministry, 6th June, 1950.
    (Emergency commission section.)
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Commission relinquished.
    Flight Lieutenant J. H. STIGNER (89334) (on appointment to the Territorial Army). 16th Dec. 1949.

The War Office, 19th May, 1950.
    TERRITORIAL ARMY.
    ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY.
    Jacobus Hubertus Aldegondus Lienard STIGNER (409397) from R.A.F.V.R., to be Lt., 16th Dec. 1949, with seniority 7th Oct. 1943.

NOTICE is hereby given that the partnership heretofore subsisting between Jacobus Herbertus Aldegundus Leinard Stigner and Albert John Coleman carrying on business as Jewellers under the style or firm of "STIGNER'S" has been dissolved as from the 31st December, 1950, so far as concerns the said Jacobus Herbertus Aldegundus Leinard Stigner who retires from the said firm.—Dated this 6th day of January, 1951.
    A. J. COLEMAN.

The War Office, 31st August, 1951.
    TERRITORIAL ARMY.
    The undermentioned Lts. to be Capts.: —
    J. H. A. L. STIGNER (409397), 1st June 1951.

The War Office, 10th March, 1953.
    TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.
    The undermentioned Capts. from Active List, to be Capts. on the dates shown, retaining their present seniority:—
    J. H. STIGNER (409397), 8th Dec. 1952.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks for going to so much trouble, Terry, some of this I knew already, but some is new to me.

What I really want info about is when and where he had his incidents, where was he hospitalised, who the crews were, what aircraft were involved including serial nos, and what unit he was with at the time of his prangs.

I remember that Banff, East Fortune and 132 OTU were talked about when I was a wee lad, and I guess that would have been after his stint with 53 Squadron.

Good hunting,

Stiggy

Thanks

Stiggy,
    J H Stigner gained his 'A' Flying Licence at the Cinque Ports flying club in Nov 1938. He Enlisted at Uxbridge in Sep 1939.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I knew about the Cinque Ports Flying Club licence, and that he also was one of the first intake into No.99 (Folkestone) Squadron ATCC, and that he was awarded his cadet wings at the Squadron's very first uniform parade. But the Uxbridge part is new to me. He would have joined up with his best mate, Desmond Victor Varian (89330) who as also to be a coastal command Hudson pilot, flew with No.500 Squadron, and was shot down in the Med. on 27/12/1942. My father married Betty Varian as his first wife after Desmond was killed. You can see from their id numbers that they must have signed up together, as too did three others who were to go on to fly with Jack at 53 squadron.

Being a bit of a new boy at this business please accept my apologies for any naive questions that I might make. I have tried to glean as much information that I was able before entering into your company.

Thank you for going to the trouble,

Thanks

Hi Stiggy

Just a minor observation, but it may habr been a trying error.

ATCC should be ADCC, the Air Defence Cadet Corps was formed in 1938 and was replaced by the Air Training Corps in 1941.

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Sorry, my typing error. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks

Stiggy/Malcolm,
    But does that not "muddy the waters?". If he was a member of ADCC (as opposed to ATC) then would he not have been given a Service Number? Or did those organisations not have numbers? If so then why, in Routledge's Lists, are there differentiations between ATC, and non-ATC, Enlisters?
    Sorry, Stiggy, we do (on this, and other Fora) tend to get involved in minutiae. Don't worry, it's not catching, and you'll soon get used to it!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!