Thread: RCAF Service Numbers

Thanks

Default RCAF Service Numbers

At risk of hoeing over old ground I invite forum members to provide their thoughts on the assignment of RCAF service numbers 1939-1945.

There was obviously a system in place whereby recruits would be assigned a service number. I assume that numbers prefixed "C" were assigned pre-war and the "R" and "J" prefixes adopted later.

I am interested only in a general sense. Where did R/XXXXX enlist? Can the Manning Depot or recruitmenent location be identified by his number?

I have not personally visited the National Archives of Canada to search on this subject, however many frequent contributors to this forum have been to the achives and may have some insight.

Interestingly, the Canadian Army assigned single-letter prefixes to service numbers assigned during WW2, but they did not include prefixes 'R' or "J".

Thanks

Ken,

I assume you have found the old thread on this topic?

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=11529&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes

Just a minor note: some Canadian Army serials issued during the war had 2 letter prefixes, including both my father's and my mother's numbers. I remember my father telling me that one letter indicated the region where you joined up, and the other indicated long term or short term sign ups.

Thanks

Thanks for the link to the previous post Bill,

Notwithstanding Hugh Halliday's excellent description of RCAF service number assignments contained therein, my question remains.

Based on an assumed "block of numbers" being assigned to an RCAF Manning Depot, where were R/XXXXX or J/XXXXX recruited?
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 24th April 2009 at 22:22.