Thread: Sgt Smith, RCAF - who is he?

Thanks

Default Sgt Smith, RCAF - who is he?

Hello gents, now i'm not holding out much hope with this one as it is likely to be like searching for a needle in a haystack, but i'm posting it in hope!

Sgt Smith (R67560 or R67550), RCAF was injured on the 28th March 1941 when he crash landed Spitfire L1030 of 57 OTU in Shropshire. The accident card gives no initials and the ORB does not give any details on the accident so it's just the surname and service number (numbers) to go on.

Can anyone help to identify him or what happened to him? I've searched Geoff's CWGC search engine and found nothing. Obviously there is the strong chance that he was commissioned and renumbered, so he still could have died later in the war.

Can anyone help?! Even the smallest clues or tips would help!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hello,

There are at least 200 plus Smith's RCAF listed on the Canadian Memorial sight.
    And as for Spitfire L1030 , Air Britain has only that she served with 19 Squadron, then 64 Squadron then 57 OTU where she crashed in a forced landing at Bretton, Flint on 1st October 1941 and later became 2823M.

"Spitfire the History" by Morgan/Shacklady has
    L1030
    c/n 244
    FF 23-6-1939
    19 Sqn 3-7-39
    w/u ldg Dxfd 8-6-40
    64 Sqn 14-9-40
    57 OTU 3-2-41
    AST 3-4-41 (Air Service Training)
    57 OTU 20-7-41
    1CRU 8-10-41 (Contractors [Civilian] Repair Unit)
    SoC 4-12-41

Following a minor accident with 57 OTU which AST Unit would a 57 OTU Spitfire be sent to ?

Only two force /crash landing are noted, Smith's crash landing was either a minor one or is your date of 28th march 1941 correct ?

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 25th April 2009 at 12:34.

Thanks

Default L1030

According to Air Britain Aeromilitaria 125 the date is correct:

"Force-landed wheels-up in a field while lost in bad weather at Great Ness near Shrewsbury."

/John

Thanks

Hello chaps,

the information i have gathered comes from the accident card's at Hendon, but it wasn't a particularly serious crash. The accident did indeed happen at Great Ness, near Nesscliffe, but it wouldn't have been very serious, just some bents props and damged belly, so likely to be repaired.

I didn't think there was much chance of identifying this man!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

I've sent a message to my contact in the Canadian archvies, they will be able to confirm the mans name and perhaps if he was commishioned and died you can order his service record.

The LAC in my experience will confirm a mans (or woman I'm sure too) name if you have a serial number of a fairly unique surname etc.

I'll post it up here if I get a positive reply. Hugh might be able to help if he is seeing this.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Bradley Smith

My man on the inside confirms his name as:

"The individual in question is Bradley Smith. He retired with service number J-15010. The enlistment # was R67550"

Much quicker than I would have even imagined!

I'll have a look at ancestry.com and post anythign that might relate to him.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, you'r a star! That is a real turn around, after i had given up hope aswell! Don't worry about checking ancestry, i can check all of that stuff myself, but thanks for the offer. I just did a quick google search and there is a Sgt Bradley Smith with 121 Eagle Squadron in May 1941. I wonder if this just might be the same chap?? Any one?!

Thanks again Dennis,

Tom

Thanks

Default Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith (American in RCAF) joined 121 Squadron in May 1941 and left again in April 1942. (Source: RAF Eagle Squadrons).

/John

Thanks

Thanks John. In the mean time Hugh has managed to fill in some details on Bradley Smith:
    Bradley Smith (R.67550 and J.15010) was an American citizen, born 7 December 1913. Enlisted in the RCAF, Windsor, Ontario, 1 July 1940. Promoted Sergeant 17 January 1941. To Embarkation Depot, 4 February 1941; to RAF overseas, 7 February 1941. Commissioned 2 August 1941. Promoted Flying Officer, 2 August 1942. Retired (meaning transfer to American forces), 15 February 1943.

So i'm pretty confident we have the same man!

Cheers for all the help, Tom