Thread: 3 Section 85 Graves Concentration Unit

Thanks

Default 3 Section 85 Graves Concentration Unit

Hi everyone, as part of my search for the history of the crew to Lancaster LM463 lost on the Nuremburg raid I have details of a graves concentration unit as shown above that signed for the crew bodies so that they could be transferred and buried in the Hannover war cemetry.

Can anyone give me any information about this unit or those within it please or anywhere else I could get some information. The signature on the receipt was by a Alexander (then looks like or similiar to) Shankman Captain ICR commanding 3 section 85 graves conc unit (british) 23/4/47.

I always though it was the RAF that recovered crew but any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Paul

Thanks

Hello Paul,

It could be that the MREU branch operating in that particular area had disbanded by that point in time but that the Army Graves Concentration Unit were still operating there and took care of the matter. Perhaps there is a forum on Army matters that could give you more specifics?

For a very good background and overview of the work carried out by the RAF teams of MRS/MRES there is a book on the subject called Missing Believed Killed by Stuart Hadaway.

Hope that helps
    Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi Paul,

In the years 1944-1952 there has been extensive cooperation between all grave services of all Allies. US services would share information with UK services. Graves have initially been "processed" as found, by whatever nation, unit, or civilian organisation that did so, and then transferred to the designated service, i.c. GRU, GCU and MR&ES. Hence the mention of a Captain involved with RAF graves is not unusual.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Default Thanks Linzee and Rob

Linzee, I have read the book by Stuart Hadaway but was confused with the units and organisation but the details of the units research was excellent. It would have been good to have found where this unit came from and who was in it but this may be asking too much now. Anyway, I shall keep looking,

Thanks Again

Paul.