Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book: Fortress with RAF Coastal Command

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Book: Fortress with RAF Coastal Command

I’m pleased to announce that my book on the history of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress with RAF Coastal Command will be published this summer/early fall.

Copies can be reserved by contacting Roger Wallsgrove at: rogerwATmmpbooksDOTbiz

Books ordered in advance of publication will be sent post-free.

A heartfelt 'thank you' to the many of you who contributed to the research and special thanks to Ross for providing the Forum and endorsing this posting.

Best regards:

Robert

Thanks

By way of an update to those that may have pre-ordered, looks like it will now be year-end before the book is published.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Happy to let you know that my book, 'Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service', is about to be printed and will be available very shortly.

If you have already ordered a copy, thank you... and thank you for your patience. If not, now would be a good time to contact Mushroom Model Publications (MMP) via:

Roger Wallsgrove at: roger.wallsgroveATbtinternetDOTcom or in the UK phone 01730 300795

The MMP web site at: www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/index.php - purchase details to be added shortly.

Thanks again to all those who contributed. I look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards:

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 27th April 2010 at 16:03.

Thanks

The Coastal Command Fortress book is now ready and can be found at:
    http://www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/index.php and purchased through MMP's Shop tab.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

On my way!!!
    And ordered.
    Last edited by AlanW; 14th June 2010 at 14:57.

Thanks

I have not got far through the book up to now, but before i started reading it seriously, i thumbed through it, as i do all books, just to get a first impression. My first impression was that judging on what i saw on my thumb through, this is going to be an excellent read. Tons of photo's and illustrations, loads of technical data, all perfectly laid out. Nice to see some of the faces of those airmen i've been in written contact with in the past. This is a must for any RAF researcher's bookshelf, especially if you're into Coastal Command. Only one very tiny tiny tiny dissapointment for me, is that the book does not have the hard-cover that it most certainly deserves:-)

Thanks

I have now received my copy of Robert’s book and I have to say I am very pleased with it.

By way of background I have been quite disappointed in the last three purchases I have made from MMP. Two of those were in the White Series and in both cases I found the content pretty thin and worse the content was stretched out with large fonts, line spacing etc to fill what seemed to me to be 50% more pages than were actually justified.

I am interested in all aspects of RAF WW2 operational history but neither the B-17 nor Coastal Command are mainstream topics for me. I bought “The Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service” because having observed Robert’s participation on this board over the years I thought “well this (new book in the White Series) must be better” and it is! It very much corrects my earlier views and provides a book that reflects what I expected from the MMP White Series.

This is a very substantial and professional effort that I am pleased to have on my bookshelf. My only reservation is that, like many recent books from various publishers, the hand of the designer is more dominant on the page than I would prefer but that probably only reflects the changing colour of my hair.

It seems to me that substantial efforts have been made to run down all aspects of the subject and as Alan has said a good balance is struck between providing the technical detail and properly honouring the achievements and sacrifices of the men who flew these aircraft. The text is supported with large numbers of photos many of which I think will not have been published before. A lot of the technical and operational detail is extracted into appendices. A real bonus however is Juanita Franzi’s artwork and especially her technical drawings which helpfully illustrate the chronological development in the appearance of the different B-17 models flown by the RAF and also illustrate and label the numerous bits sticking out from the airframes.

I hope that Robert is suitably pleased with the outcome

Steve

Thanks

Many thanks, Steve. PM posted.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Hello,

The book is mentioned in this french discussion board aviation books critics section :
    http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article2981.html

A good book it seems

Joss

Thanks

Default Book Update

Have just completed an update for my Coastal Command Fortress book which I'm happy to email to anyone who would like a copy. Just send me an email or PM. It will also be posted for download shortly on the MMP Books site.
    Regards:
    Robert