Thread: 26 OTU Accident, December 1943

Thanks

Default 26 OTU Accident, December 1943

Hope someone can help me identify an accident which took place at 26 OTU in December 1943. It concerns the original crew, I believe all RCAF, of the Canadian bomb aimer I have been researching, Earl Stanley Cary.

Earl Cary was sick for several days in December, and while he was away on sick leave, his crew, with a substitute bomb aimer, was killed in an accident described as being "over the east coast of England".

Can anyone please tell me what happened to this crew, how and where they crashed, and what their names were?

I can't give the exact date of the crash, but Earl Cary's service record shows that he was on sick leave for five days from 6th to 10th December 1943 inclusive.

Thanks

No losses between those dates, but one on the 11th (the only one for 26 OTU in December until the 30th)

Wellington BK440
    Training

T/O 06.45 Little Horwood for a navigation sortie. Exploded 08.00, or thereabouts, and crashed near Park Farm, Hindolveston, 8 miles ESE of Fakenham in Norfolk. Five were taken to Cambridge City Cemetery, while Sgt Brown is buried in Rushden Cemetery. In the years since this tragedy, various items of debris have been recovered from the fields and the more important pieces are now with teh Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton.

All killed:
    F/sgt A Merridew
    Sgt A Wilson
    F/Sgt N Doherty RAAF
    Sgt E W Brown
    Sgt W E Martin RCAF
    Sgt A W Ellis RCAF

From Chorley, Vol 7

A

Thanks

Thanks, Amrit. I am sure that will be the one, particularly as there are a number of Canadians on board.

I'm in touch with Earl's nieces at the moment, so I will direct them to the forum: I am sure they will be very interested to read this.

I can't remember whether Chorley specifies who did what, but would be interested to know if it is there; particularly curious about which man was the substitute.

Wonder why the plane exploded?

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would update it with information on Wellington BK440, for those who have not seen it.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...n-bk440.67984/

Thanks

Hello Richgy656 and welcome to the forum.
    Good work on the memorial and gathering the information. Is it possible you could post a summary of the details here on RAFCommands? That way it will come up in searches by the members.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS