Thread: Help to identify two RAF members

Thanks

Default Help to identify two RAF members

Hello,

In a private photo album of a JG 2 pilot, I found the attached photograph showing Leutnant Walter Höhler a JG 2 ace with two RAF members. They were probably shot down in October – November 1941 over France.
    Can anybody identify these persons?
    That would be much interesting for me: I just published the first volume of the Chronicle of JG 2 "Richthofen" and, since this release seems to be much appreciated, I prepare now the second volume (1941). This particular photo will appear in this volume and an appropriate caption would be great.

Thank you for any comment.

Erik

www.luftwaffe.be

PS: well, I don't find how to attach the photo. I will send it with pleasure to anyone who want to try to identify the airmen.

Thanks

hello Erik,

I'm puzzled by your message. Actually you have already published two volumes of the JG 2 history, in French volume 1 covering 1934-1940 and volume 2 1941. Do you mean the English ones ?

I suppose you refer to the picture of the bottom of page 217 of the French edition. The caption leads to think the picture was taken on 8th November 1941. Your message seems to indicate it could be october or november 1941, not specifically 8th November ?

Using that date, I'd tried to identify them as well. It's probably not P/O GREENAWAY of 501 who was captured in/near Alderney. F/O WEIR of 401 was captured "near Abbeville", P/O Z. GUTOWSKI and S/L SZCZESZNIESKI were captured near Cassel and S/L WILCZEWSKI was captured between Lille and Béthune, according to their respective PoW questionnaires.

I can't see a "Poland" shoulder flash on the picture, and the pilot on the left is definitely a Sergeant or a Flight Sergeant, and none were captured that day. We can have a pilot whose commission was gazetted later, and still wearing NCO's stripes, I've found the case. But geographically speaking, we're far from Le Havre and I'm not sure two allied pilots shot down in the Pas-de-Calais would have been driven to Le Havre to meet their victor.

If you have another shot, I'd be happy to have a look at it in order to find clues.

My e-mail address is in my profile.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 4th May 2009 at 17:22.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    S/L SZCZESZNIESKI
    It's SZCZESNIEWSKI, to be precise.