Thread: Sgt. S Witham, Evader, 166 Squadron, 3/8/1944.

Thanks

Default Sgt. S Witham, Evader, 166 Squadron, 3/8/1944.

Gents,

F/O H A L Wagner was captured by the Germans on 3rd August 1944 whilst flying Lancaster ME839 AS-N with 166 Squadron Lancaster on a raid to Trossy St.Maximin.

Of the crew, 5 were killed in the incident, F/O H A L Wagner was captured, whilst Sgt S.Witham Evaded.

Does anyone have any further details or the evasion report for Sgt. Witham.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default Sgt. S Witham, Evader, 166 Squadron, 3/8/1944

Sgt Witham bailed out and landed in a quarry near St Maxim. He hid in a nearby forest until the following morning and then began walking NE . After several hours he met a French girl who went and brought her brother. They hid Sgt Witham in a slit trench near their house where he stayed until the next morning. The following day 5th August they took him to a house where he stayed overnight. On the 6th August the woman of the house took him to Chantilly to meet a man who would help him further. The Frenchman took him to a house in Chantilly where he stayed until the 7th September when he made contact with the Allied Forces. On the 8th September he was airlifted to the UK. The crew were on their 20th Operation.

Extract from 'On Wings of War' A History of 166 Squadron by Jim Wright acknowledged.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pointon; 5th May 2009 at 11:35. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Thanks Chris,

Does it say any more about the exit from the aircraft?

Nick

Thanks

Default Sgt. S Witham, Evader, 166 Squadron, 3/8/1944

Nick - I am afraid the book does not say anything about the exit from the aircraft.

Chris

Thanks

Hi, do you have an ISBN number for the book as i would like to find a copy? Cheers, Rick

Thanks

Edited Post
    Rick - I am so sorry but I initially gave you the ISBN No of Tom Docherty's book on 7 Sqdn which is on another posting.

The book I meant to refer to is 'On Wings Of War' A History of 166 Sqdn by Jim Wright. ISBN 0 9528476 0 4. This was privately published in 1996 by the 166 Sqdn Association, 4 Park Way East, Kirkby Park, Merseyside L32 2BY. However I see little point in contacting them as this book is now a collectors item and there are 2 copies on Abebooks.com at £225 each which makes me think I should be keeping my copy in a bank vault !!!!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pointon; 6th May 2009 at 15:41. Reason: Wrong information first posted

Thanks

many thanks, do you know if anything is mentioned for ND651 lost on 3rd Jun 44, especially the rear gunner Sgt CE Mayne, thanks Rick

Thanks

Rick - see my edited post below.

I am afraid there is nothing on the loss of ND651 or its crew that you do not know already.

Chris