Thread: Group Captain "Speedy" Powell DSO

Thanks

Default Group Captain "Speedy" Powell DSO

Hi,

Looking for details on the aboves death in August 1944 with No.19 Sqdn (?), what were the circumstances, aircraft etc.

Any help appreciated.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello Steve
    I think the CWGC has the wrong unit.
    I have checked the GRO lists and G/C JA Powell is listed as 19 Sqdn.
    However I have looked up a F/O JRF Reid who died on the same day and is buried in the same grave. His unit is also 19 Sqdn on the CWGC site but on the GRO list he is down as 19 Sqdn SAAF.
    These five men also lost their lives on the 18/08/44, unit listed as 19Sqdn and are buried in the same grave in Belgrade War Cemetery.
    DW Connor
    B Gantz
    W McDermott
    JFR Reid
    HD Scott
    Hope this is of help.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

This was discussed before, same incident.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594&highlight=saaf

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=9673&forum=DCForu mID6

its the old problem of duplicate Commonwelath Squadron numbers.

I think the CWGC will correct this if told, its a small change, shall I contact them or does someone else. They contact the AHB and confirm the details on the database.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default 19 and 19 SAAF Squadrons

Using Geoff Sullivans search engine and the Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour,

I gathered this list of 77 Names and placed them in a pdf file at this link:

http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/war/19Squadrons.pdf

Green highlights are used for the probable 19 SAAF men.

Of these 20 are connected to the Mediterranean by Memorial or burial. These begin in August 1944 when 227 Sqn became 19 SAAF Squadron.

8 of those names are South African Air Force men so '19 Squadron' is accurate for them. Two of the South Africans are listed as '19 RAF' Squadron, to complicate things.

The remaining 12 RAF, RAFVR, RCAF men I beleive are 19 SAAF Squadron casualties.

I would beg the question, is 57 caualties representative of 19 Squadron RAF from 1940 to 1947, its seems rather low for a front line unit simply by inspection.

There are thus 12 men I'd consider the CWGC might list as 19 SAAF Squadron instead of '19 Squadron' as they are now.

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 6th May 2009 at 22:12.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

19 SAAF sqn was equipped with Beaufighters. Lost serials for 18-8-1944:
    JL910 XI 19 SAAF crashlanded near Banjaluka
    KW162 VI Med SOC
    KW201 VI Med SOC
    KW351 X 5 METS accident on t/o Heliopolis
    ND167 VI Med SOC
    ND259 VI Med SOC
    NE249 X 39 sqn SOC
    NE594 X 603 sqn SOC
    V8867 VIF 108 sqn SOC
    X7891 VIF ME Missing.

Thanks

Default The fate of Group Captain "Speedy" Powell

My father served under Speedy whilst he was Dental Officer for 330 Bomber Wing in North Africa. He told me much about what a great leader he was especially with new crews just arrived. Speedy and the armaments offcier Jimmy eil often flew with them on their first ops. Jimmy had completed a tour on Manchesters.

Speedy was posted to the Balkan Air Force when the Wing reached Italy. Speedy them led a Beaufighter strike on a German airfield in what was then Yugoslavia. Having led them over the airfield Speedy made the classic mistake of going back on his own for a second run at the target.

The result was disasterous with the airfield defences fully alert and waiting for him. Consequently he was shot down and killed. He is buried in a war cemetry in Yugosalvia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sanders View Post
    My father served under Speedy whilst he was Dental Officer for 330 Bomber Wing in North Africa. He told me much about what a great leader he was especially with new crews just arrived. Speedy and the armaments offcier Jimmy eil often flew with them on their first ops. Jimmy had completed a tour on Manchesters.

Speedy was posted to the Balkan Air Force when the Wing reached Italy. Speedy them led a Beaufighter strike on a German airfield in what was then Yugoslavia. Having led them over the airfield Speedy made the classic mistake of going back on his own for a second run at the target.

The result was disasterous with the airfield defences fully alert and waiting for him. Consequently he was shot down and killed. He is buried in a war cemetry in Yugosalvia.
    Rod,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~