Thread: A E Richardson, 2SFTS, 1940/41.

Thanks

Default A E Richardson, 2SFTS, 1940/41.

Guys,

I am searching for this guy and have found a possible match on a stirling with 218 squadron, KIA 24th August 1942 but he passed out of 2SFTS as an Air Cadet/pilot. Was Richardson a pilot on this stirling? He is shown on CWGC as Sergeant (Obs). Is that possible?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickFenton; 6th May 2009 at 08:10.

Thanks

Hi Nick
    It is not impossible that he was employed as an Obs despite passing out with pilot's wings. It could depend on Sqn needs at the time and he might not have made the grade on conversion to Heavy a/c. He is recorded in W R Chorley, Bomber Command Losses Vol 3 as lost on a 218 SQn Stirling on an op to Frankfurt when it carried 8 people instead of the normal 7. In Chorley's listing he occupies the Air Bomber position but Chorley himself points out that this is not always a sound assumption. He places a Supernumary pilot usually as 2nd on his list and that place is occupied on this op by F/Sgt J A Morgan RNZAF who is annotated as pilot on CWGC. The ORB may give more detail if anyone has access to it
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Arthur Edward Richardson, 63474 and 2 SFTS

Guys,

Please ignore the previous thread, l have now located my Air Cadet. Certainly passed out as a pilot.

Promoted to PO in April 1941, through FO and Ft/Lt in the yearly cycles and at the end of the war joined the RAF Regiment, promoted to S/Ldr and retired in 1965.

I cannot find any reference to his service during the war.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Nick