Thread: J Gavegan, RNZAF?, 125 Sqn, 27 April 1942

Thanks

Default J Gavegan, RNZAF?, 125 Sqn, 27 April 1942

Dear Forum-friends,

I just found following information regarding J Gavegen, 125 Sqn on Bath Blitz Memorial Project (http://www.thejwarrens.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bathblitz/events06a.htm):

"Despite the number of sightings and radar contacts being up on the previous night, 125 Squadron had a frustrating time over Bath, with the hurried servicing necessary to get their discarded Defiants into the air leading to a number of unfortunate problems. Nevertheless, at 2.15 am that morning one aircraft, N3370 flown by Pilot Officer White and Pilot Officer Gavegan, did make contact with a Heinkel 111 of IV/KG 55 which was flying near Bristol, and in the ensuing combat the German gunner, Oberfeldwebel Willi Schulze, was killed and one of the bomber's engines damaged. However, Wnr.5319 was a tough old aircraft and the surviving crew members managed to nurse it back to France, where after initially signaling they intended to put down at Caen, eventually landed on the aerodrome at Rennes. Unknown to he Germans the Defiant also had its problems, for on landing back at Colerne at 3.15 am the port oleo leg collapsed and wheel snapped off causing the aircraft to slew round damaging its port wing-tip and flaps."

This happened on the night 26/27 April 1942.

A question for Errol Martyn:
    According to your excellent book For Your Tomorrow Vol 3 P/O Jack Ralph Gavegan, NZ402128 left 125 Sqn and started his service with 75 Sqn 11 June 1941. Can this be a printing mistake? Was it 11 June 1942?

According to Tony Wood's Combat Claims & Casualties Lists 125 Sqn claimed one He 111 probably destroyed but with a Beaufighter. If it was Jack Ralph Gavegan that was involved it must be a Defiant as stated above because he was an air gunner and not an Radio Observer.

Thanks in advance
    Peter Hasselgren

Thanks

Peter,
    His pilot on that night was P/O R. White, at one time during the combat he estimated that they were no more than 50ft from the Heinkel's port wing.
    Contact me at my email address for a couple of files that i will send via email.
    Regards.....Alan.

Thanks

Peter,

"A question for Errol Martyn:
    According to your excellent book For Your Tomorrow Vol 3 P/O Jack Ralph Gavegan, NZ402128 left 125 Sqn and started his service with 75 Sqn 11 June 1941. Can this be a printing mistake? Was it 11 June 1942?"

Yes, the 75 Sqn posting should read 11 June 1942. Thanks for drawing the error to my attention.

Errol

Thanks

Alan
    Thank you, I received the files and they are very useful for me

Errol
    Glad if I can give anything back as a small reward for all the help I have received from you.

Peter