Thread: "ATC" or "APC" or both....?

Thanks

Default "ATC" or "APC" or both....?

I am interested to try to establish the correct usage of the terms “Armament Training Camp” and “Armament Practice Camp” this is specifically to do with air firing training for Army Co-operation Squadrons at Weston Zoyland. I have been using “RAF Flying Training and Support Units” by Sturtivant, Hamlin and Halley as a resource.

ORBs for ACC sqns record movements to and from Weston Zoyland for both “Armament Training Camp” and “Armament Practice Camp” (I think always with capital letters). The appropriate “Action Stations” by Chris Ashworth records that apparently in June 1941 “it was decided that Weston Zoyland should become the major practice camp for AC sqns and on 6/7/41 239Sqn arrived for training...and in October 1941 1492Flt was formed...”. The records I have mostly start from January 1942 and both these terms are used from Feb 1942. It could be that this is simply a case of sloppy recording.

RAFFT&SU records various “ATCs” established from 1932 onwards. These seem to have been re-formed as “Armament Training Stations” in 1938 and then quite quickly re-designated as “Air Observer Schools” in 1938 and 1939. This suggests to me that role of an “ATC” or an “ATS” was not the same as an “APC”.

According to RAFFT&SU several “APCs” were first established on 5/11/41 (ie close to date that 1492Flt was formed on 18/10/41) but there seems to have been a big expansion in the number of APCs on 18/10/43 presumably to do with preparations for the invasion. One of these No 13 APC is recorded as formed at Weston Zoyland on 18/10/43 from No 1492 (Target Towing Flight) Flt.

If anybody can throw any further light on this I would be grateful.

Steve

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Steve

I'm no expert but from my research into Catfoss APC/ATC the date of change was 1/1/32 from the former to the latter. Catfoss later changed again to become No. 2 (C) OTU

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie

Thanks for your efforts I am no expert on this either! I guess I am going to have to do some more searching at NA/Kew.

Best wishes

Steve