Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beaufighter Serials, Codes and Pilots

Thanks

Hi All
    Following Ross' latest post, Air Britain EA-EZ Serials has EL 447 as S.O.C. 11/10/44 being by then with 9 OTU
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Sorry Dick but the AM78s held at Hendon do not confirm this. They list the three serials as all being lost in operations.

As I said at the moment there is no reliable source to confirm the letter prefix.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Default Beaufighter serials

Hi,

thanks to all for the kind help! I really appreciate it very much!

Checking the burial listings of british war cemeteries in NW Germany I found a last Beaufighter pilot:

7 Sep
    236 Sqn Coastal Command
    Bristol Beaufighter ND-
    Op:
    F/O K Bannerman-Pillai
    +, 3.G.11
    Sgt R J Grosvenor
    +
    F/O Bannerman-Pillai rests in Kiel War Cemetery. Sgt Grosvenor is commemorated on panel 84 of the Runnymede Memorial.

Does anyone have the serial and code of this Fighter?

regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

T4779, ND-T

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Hi Ross, Dick and Robert,

many thanks for helping!

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Dear Dave, dear Hans,

On the 9Th of July, 1943, two Beaufighters, “J” (Sarg. J. M. McLeod, Sarg. N.T. Inglis) and “H” (F/O T.R. Buckey, F/O E.S. Wislley) of 248Th Sqn and one Lockheed Hudson (FH332 ) of 233 Sqn, Gibraltar, meet four FW 200 C-4 U3 Condors (F8+KT, F8+IT, F8+CD and F8+NT), from III/ KG 40, Bordéus-Merignac.
    Three of the FW 200 run away from the battle and the 4th (F8+NT) was shoot down at Aljezur near the cliff by the sea. All the crew was killed in the crash, their remains were buried in the village, were their graves still today. The credit went to the crew of “J”.

That’s what I know, my doubts are:

1 – The Beaufighters where MK VI or Mk X, because this was the period that they were changing models;

2 – The 249 Sqn, Beaufighters at the time, were at Predannack, or they were already at Gibraltar? I’ve found one information about 248th Sqn that mentioned: “…10 July 1943: Detachment with AHQ Gibraltar; Mediterranean Air Command”. This battle happened the day before…

3 – What were the seral numbers of “J” and “H”?

5 – At the time what was the colours of Beaufighters? Was it Dark Sea Grey upper surface with Medium Sea Grey undersides?

Thanks a lot for your kind attention, I would be very thankful if you could help me in this riddle.

Best regards
    P.Bandeira

Thanks

Gentlemen. My name is Ken and I am researching information on F/O A.F. Hague which has brought me to this site and thread. Reading posts I am very interested in information written by Hans. F/O Hague and fellow crewman P/O Pavitt perished in the downing of TorBeau W LZ412 on 23 Nov. 1943. I am interested in finding out where he found his detailed information pertaining to this mission. Most of my data is from F/O Hague's Log Book which I have. He would have been my uncle had he survived the War. Any information I am able to get will be very appreciated. Thanks

Thanks

Hi Steve,

455 Sqn for the 6 July 1944 was aircraft NE348 UB-F. Pilot was F/O William Morgan Barbour 414380. I have a number of photos of Bill and his complete RAAF history which I’d be happy to share with you if you want. Contact me on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom replace the DOT & AT with the usual.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

@PBandeira.
    Long time lurker, second time poster. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

248 Squadron sent a detachment of six Beaufighters to Gibraltar May 25th, 1943. According to AIR27 they were listed as Mk. X Beaufighters.
    AIR 27/1496:

"Six of our aircraft flew to Gibraltar on attachment for operations overseas, the aircrew being, Officer Commanding No. 248 Squadron, Wing Commander A. Montagu-Smith (pilot) and No. 516476 Flight Sergeant H. Littlewood (navigator W.); Flying Officer T.R. Buckley and Flying Officer E.S. Willey (navigator W.); Flying Officer E. Lindlay (pilot) and No. 970888 Flight Sergeant J.L.P. Pate (navigator W.); Pilot Officer P.N. Smith (pilot) and Flying Officer G.L.P. Palombi (naviagot w.); Sergeant J. MacLeoed No. 1341845 (pilot) and No. 1551171 Sergeant N.T. Inglis (navigator R.W.). Flight Lieutenant C.R.B. Schofield (pilot) and Flight Lietenant Sutton made speeches at Predannack "Wings for Victory Week"

A. Montagu-Smith, J.E. Langley and T.R. Buckley, E.S. Willey returned from Gibraltar on July 12, 1943.
    P/O R. Lindley, F/Sgt J.L.P Pate and F/O J.K Thompson, Sgt G.F Barnes returned from Gibraltar on July 23, 1943
    F/O P.N. Smith, F/O G.L. Palombi and Sgt J. MacLeod, Sgt N.T. Inglis returned from Gibraltar on July 23, 1943

I to am interested in the serial numbers for "J" and "H" as well as the colours if anyone has information on 248's markings during this time (I'm assuming they didn't repaint for the short stint in Gibraltar and they just kept the colours they had in Predannack?

Can anyone confirm if they kept the same paint as they had in Talbenny?