Thread: F/L Perrers RNZAF 23.11.1943

Thanks

Default F/L Perrers RNZAF 23.11.1943

Dear Gentlemen,

F/L Perrers was the pilot of Lancaster III JB236, 630 Sqdn, that was shot down by a night-fighter and crashed 1940 1km S of the hill Fassberg. Perrers and four of his crew were killed in action.

I'm looking for the first burial place of the crew. Maybe someone can provide me with further details.

Many thanks in advance.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve,

From my triogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 19143-1998)':

Tue 23/Wed 24 Nov 1943
    BOMBER COMMAND
    Raid on Berlin, Germany (by 383 aircraft - 27 lost)
    630 Squadron, RAF (East Kirkby, Lincolnshire - 5 Group)
    Lancaster III JB236/T(bar) - took off at 1650 and brought down over Germany, crashing on the German bombing range at Fassberg, about 12 miles SE of Munster. Taken prisoner, the RAF wireless operator and rear gunner were the only survivors. Their five comrades were buried at Fassberg, but later reinterred at Hannover.
    Captain: NZ414672 Flt Lt Frederick Leonard PERRERS, RNZAF - Age 30. 717hrs. 27th op.
    Perrers’ operational career had been interrupted on 11 December 1942, when during an anti-submarine patrol his 10 OTU Whitley was obliged to force-land in Spain. Returning to Britain after two months internment, he resumed flying in April. It will be recalled that earlier while flying with 4SFTS, RCAF, on 2 February 1942 he had survived the mid-air collision in which LAC M D Knight died.

Also, from the copy of a letter on Perrers's service record received following publication of the above and relating to MRES investigations:

"I next visited the Fassberg Cemetery where among other graves I found five graves marked 'Unknown English Airman' buried 24th November 1943...

The official inspector of all aircraft shot down in that district states that a Lancaster aircraft was shot down in November 1943, It crashed on the bombing range used by the aerodrome four or five kilometres away. Five men were found dead in the aircraft and were buried with full military honours in the Fassberg Cemetery.

George Helms who owns the property where a second aircraft crashed in February 1944 gave the date of the crash as February 25th 1944.

The wreckage of the two crashes was removed by the German Luftwaffe but by interrogation I learned that both aircraft where shot down by fighters from the adjacent airfield."

Errol

Thanks

Hi Steve,

According to Errol Martyn's book 'For your Tomorrow' those killed were first buried where the bomber crashed at Fassberg before being reinterred in Hannover War Cemetery. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Dear Errol and John,

many thanks for your kind help. It's much appreciated. The second crash you mentioned occured on the Berlin raid 15./16. Feb 1944 I suppose.

kind regards

Steve