Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reginald Victor Sessions

Thanks

Default Reginald Victor Sessions

I've been trying to determine when R V Sessions, a WW1 pilot, died, but I'm not having much success. All I know for certain is that he was born on 25 May 1895; that his father was H Sessions and that the family appeared to live in Gloucester. He disappears off the radar after being demobilised on 25 May 1919.

I wonder if any of our experts could assist as I'd like to trace his family (if there is one.) The only Sessions still in Gloucester is a widow whose husband died 40 years ago, and she has been unable to help.

Tia
    Brian

Thanks

Discovered his brother, D H Sessions, was awarded the MC whilst with the RFC (http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/30651/supplements/5014), but he was killed on 26 June 1918 whilst flying with No 2 School of Aerial Gunnery (thanks Anne).

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    I have found the following on 'Ancestry.com' and sending it on in case there's a clue.
    Norman

1901 census:
    Reginald Victor Sessions Age: 5
    Birth Year: 25 May 1895, Gloucestershire
    Christened: Herefordshire Aug 1895
    Father's Name: Herbert
    Mother's Name: Rebecca
    Civil Parish: Quedgeley
    Ecclesiastical parish: Quedgeley
    Town: Quedgeley
    County/Island: Gloucestershire
    Registration district: Gloucester
    Sub-registration district: South Hamlet

Household Members:
    Herbert Sessions 46
    Rebecca Sessions 41
    Reginald Victor Sessions 5
    Donald Humphrey Sessions 4
    Elie Mariel Sessions 2

Eline Christy McGregor 44
    Marrian Alice Ford 38
    Jane Mounteney 20
    May Knight 19
    Rose Aylett Knight 16
    Kate Jorsnn 16
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th May 2009 at 22:42.

Thanks

From a Google book search, assuming it is the same man:

The regimental roll of honour and war record of the Artists' Rifles (1/28th, 2/28th and 3/28th battalions, the London Regiment T. F.): Commissions, promotions, appointments and rewards for service in the field obtained by members of the corps since 4th August, 1914
    By S. Stagoll Higham
    Edition: 3
    Published by Howlett, 1922

765142 " Sessions, Reginald Victor ... 17 5/17

I can't see what the title of the information is unfortunely.

I can't see either a medal index card, pension or service record for him on ancestry.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen, it's the right man. I have his RAF service record, but when that ends with his demobilisation on 25 May 1919, he literally disappears of the face of the earth. I can find no record of any marriage or death. I'm fast coming to the conclusion he emmigrated to the Dominions.

The date you give Dennis is probably his appointment as 2nd Lt, General List, on probation.

Thanks for the pointer to Google - but that raises a bit of a mystery. Sessions' service record lists the 'Italian Service Medal' under 'Honours etc', yet the regimental history makes no reference to it being in Italy.

Wish I hadn't asked the question in the first place. I'll get his Army record on Wednesday.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,

To save a look-up, and to set the books right. Here are the details on Lt D H Sessions:-

A.
    Royal Air Force.

Lt D H Sessions and AMI H Munton, 1 (Obs.) Sch of AG. Killed whilst flying, DH4 B5454, UK.

B.
    Royal Air Force.

SESSIONS, Lt Donald Humphrey, MC, 1 (Obs.) Sch of AG, pilot. Native of Quedgeley. Killed whilst flying 20.6.18. Buried at Quedgeley, Glos. (CWGC: No.2 Sch of AG)

C.
    Royal Air Force.

MUNTON, AMI Herbert (31614), 1 (Obs.) Sch of AG. Native of West Gorton, age 35. Killed whilst flying 20.6.18. Buried at Manchester (Gorton), Lancs. (CWGC: No.3 Sch of AG)

See:
    Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918:The Roll of Honour of the British and Commonwealth Air Services of the First World War.
    Hobson,Chris (comp.).
    Suffolk:J.B.Hayward & Son.,1995.
    A. p.283
    B. p.187
    C. p.172

Col.

Thanks

Peter, has traced Sessions to Australia in November 1957. He would have been 61 at the time, and travelled with his daughter Patricia Mary Sessions (34) on the 'Himalaya'. Could I ask our Australian experts if there is an easy (emphasis on 'easy') way to find out if he died in Australia and, if so, when, and can one obtain his death certificate?

TIA

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    I have my cousin in Oz on the case but don't expect a reply until late tomorrow.
    Norman

Thanks

Hi Brian

It really depends on the State. For example, the NSW Registry of BMDs (http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births)
    gives you the following detail on deaths registered in the State between 1957 and 1977:

Registration Number
    Last Name
    Given Name(s)
    Father's Given Name(s)
    Mother's Given Name(s)
    District

8875/1959 SESSIONS CATHERINE WILLIAM EMMA SYDNEY
    10947/1960 SESSIONS ELSIE FRANK MARY ANN SYDNEY
    13534/1960 SESSIONS ETHEL SMITH ERNEST WILLIAM LILY ASHFIELD
    10172/1961 SESSIONS THOMAS WILLIAM WILLIAM ADA MAUD ASHFIELD
    4507/1964 SESSIONS RICHARD WARD ARTHUR UNKNOWN SYDNEY
    26918/1964 SESSIONS VALERIE RICHARD ETHEL HAMILTON
    15896/1967 SESSIONS ALFRED EDWARD STEPHEN CAROLINE WINEFRED NEWCASTLE
    4312/1953 SESSIONS LESTER CHARLES CHARLES ETHEL MAY NEWCASTLE
    31495/1959 SESSIONS CHARLES CHARLES HENRY ROSE AUGUSTA WALLSEND
    15964/1969 SESSIONS HARRY STEPHEN WINIFRED CAROLINE NEWCASTLE
    15345/1963 SESSIONS FLORENCE EVA JAMES CHRISTIANA HAMILTON
    24561/1951 SESSIONS GEORGE ALBERT CHARLES HENRY ROSE WYONG
    16302/1970 SESSIONS THOMAS RICHARD ALFRED EDWARD REBECCA HAMILTON
    50737/1971 SESSIONS MAGGIE DAVID HARRIETT KOGARAH
    68231/1972 SESSIONS HILDRED EADITH JOSEPH JAMES ELSIE NEWTOWN
    68313/1973 SESSIONS DELLA MARJORIE WILLIAM THOMAS DELLA BANKSTOWN
    80120/1974 SESSIONS NORMAN ALFRED ALFRED REBECCA

The Victoria registry will tell you, for example, there was one Sessions death in the State in such-and-such a year, but won't actually name the person. You have to buy the certificate to find out. At least NSW gives you the bare facts, as shown above, and you may have noticed there is one H Sessions death on the list. Whether it's your man, though, is not clear.

Although we know from the above facts that H Sessions travelled to Australia with his daughter in 1957, there is no indication of the place of arrival. This would help a lot. There are searchable lists of shipping arrivals available on the SRNSW (State Records NSW, i.e. State Archives) website (http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/) but these are, I beleive, only NSW records, and I'm not so sure how it looks for other States. Shipping lists and BMDs are broken down by the State and there's no national regiater per se. However, some later shipping lists also appear on the National Archives webite (http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp)

Just a few suggestions, so I hope this helps a bit
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 4th June 2009 at 08:00. Reason: Slight clarification
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Thank you Steve. Just to confirm that my man's name is Reginald Victor Sessions (not 'H'), and earlier today Peter advised that R V Sessions and his daughter were travelling to Melbourne.

Brian